Holga camera questions

Karenina

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I'm a pretty amateur photographer but I'm really interested in different styles and methods. I've just discovered the Holga camera, and was wondering if anyone had an experience or tips about it. I was looking at buying either one with a regular lens or one with a pinhole, but I have no idea what the difference is. I can figure what the pictures with a lens look like, but what exactly does a pinhole do? How are the photos different? Also, if I decided to purchase a Holga, which kind should I buy? Since I'm new to this, I can't see spending more than $50 -- $60 tops, and only if there's a significant difference in quality. Is there a good website to look at purchasing one? I was looking at a site that said the camera was approximately 35mm -- what does that mean? Would it take regular 35mm film? Basically, anything you could tell me about this camera would be really appreciated! Thanks!

Holgas are fun, but even more fun when you develop and print/scan the film at home. Because Holgas are mistake-prone, and it becomes costly.

The original Holgas took 120 film, which is medium format, which is to say that the negative is larger than normal 35mm cannister film. One roll of 120 got you 12-16 pics, versus the 24 or 36 you'd expect to get out of 35mm.

The 35mm Holgas shoot 35mm cannister film; the stuff you find at drugstores.

A pinhole is basically the grandaddy of picture-making. Put a small hole in something, and an image will appear on the opposite-facing surface upside down and reversed. Because pinholes are so small, they require lots of light exposure. Usually several minutes, hours, days, or years. All depends on the sensitivity of the recording medium, i.e., "film".

Some pinhole example from here after: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...llery/236997-pinhole-wedding.html#post2183784 (in short: very blurry with very large depth of field, very long exposure times).
Anyway, instead of buying an old yet fashionable camera, just build your own pinhole for your camera. By the way, you never buy an Holga for quality :) . The camera is a 120 format (medium format) but there is one, more recent, for 35mm. Start from WIkipedia for information.

I hear that since Holgas are becoming more and more popular, the new Holgas are "better" made and less prone to light leaks and heavy vignetting, which is the whole point of shooting with them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back