Holga pinhole lens Nikon camera question

annamaria

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Why not just drill a small hole in a body cap?

It's not ideal. The best pinhole images come from very smooth holes in metal. A hole through the plastic body cap would be too thick and rough and probably wouldn't produce pleasing images. You'd have to cut large hole out of the body cap, glue a metal plate (this can be cut out of a soda can), drill the hole in the plate, and paint the whole thing black. You'd also have to calculate the size of the hole based on the distance between the sensor and the plate. That can be hard to control for.

It's not ideal. The best pinhole images come from very smooth holes in metal. A hole through the plastic body cap would be too thick and rough and probably wouldn't produce pleasing images. You'd have to cut large hole out of the body cap, glue a metal plate (this can be cut out of a soda can), drill the hole in the plate, and paint the whole thing black. You'd also have to calculate the size of the hole based on the distance between the sensor and the plate. That can be hard to control for.

At least it would be a DIY project as opposed to just outright buying the final product.
844.gif

Yup combine the body cap with a hole in a aluminum from a can.

Like this.
DIY Photography Hacks: how to make a digital pinhole - and make it telephoto | Digital Camera World

At least it would be a DIY project as opposed to just outright buying the final product.
844.gif

Oh, I totally agree. It's just a bit more complicated than a hole directly in the body cap. More complicated but more fun, too :D (Says the woman who built a pinhole camera from a wooden box she found in a junk shop...)

.. or use a needle and heavy duty aluminum foil. You'd need to be careful though to keep the hole round and not have material in the light stream.

That's an idea.

Laser drilled pinholes are actually quite accurate and pinholes laser driulled - Google Search will give you sources.

A friend of mine has directions to make your own at HandMade Photographic Images - Projects. However, if one is going to use a pinhole with a digital camera then you do not actually want a pinhole, as it will allow particles to enter and land on the sensor. I have not purchased one for my digital camera (I made it) but I see a resource at Dustless Pinhole Nikon F Mount Lens Body Cap Camera Photography LOMO Lomography | eBay, as this is a dustless pinhole. Or, if you know someone with access, slide coverslips (Karter Scientific 211Z3 Standard Microscope Cover Slip, #1 Thick, 22x22mm (Pack of 200): Microscope Slide Cover Slips: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific would be great to cover the hole.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Yup combine the body cap with a hole in a aluminum from a can.

Like this.
DIY Photography Hacks: how to make a digital pinhole - and make it telephoto | Digital Camera World

Thanks guru I will take a look at the link.

I agree and it can be tricky I would think to get it precise. I'm not sure my hands would be steady enough.

844.gif

Oh, I totally agree. It's just a bit more complicated than a hole directly in the body cap. More complicated but more fun, too :D (Says the woman who built a pinhole camera from a wooden box she found in a junk shop...)

I believe I saw that on one of your posts and I thought it was really neat!!

Laser drilled pinholes are actually quite accurate and pinholes laser driulled - Google Search will give you sources.

A friend of mine has directions to make your own at HandMade Photographic Images - Projects. However, if one is going to use a pinhole with a digital camera then you do not actually want a pinhole, as it will allow particles to enter and land on the sensor. I have not purchased one for my digital camera (I made it) but I see a resource at Dustless Pinhole Nikon F Mount Lens Body Cap Camera Photography LOMO Lomography | eBay, as this is a dustless pinhole. Or, if you know someone with access, slide coverslips (Karter Scientific 211Z3 Standard Microscope Cover Slip, #1 Thick, 22x22mm (Pack of 200): Microscope Slide Cover Slips: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific would be great to cover the hole.

Wow thanks for all the links traveler. Will check them out. Just wondering do you think the one I posted online is dustless?

Wow thanks for all the links traveler. Will check them out. Just wondering do you think the one I posted online is dustless?

I have no idea if it is or not.
All the Holga stuff is plastic and I wouldn't bet that their pinholes are as accurate and carefully round as ones that are manufactured by laser drilling, rather than injection molded.

I have some Holga stuff and it is interesting but certainly not 'crafted' or rugged.
I would spend a very few dollars more and get more something a bit more sturdy and precisely made.

Most reactions

Back