Hollywood Hills, looking for C&C

Tom3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Today, we went up the hills, by the Hollywood sign, as my wife wanted to 'test' her new haircut and I wanted to test my new flash :)

These were done with a D200, Sigma 18-200 lens and SB-600 flash.

3098836231_268a7d3928_b.jpg

3098836977_b5497b848f_b.jpg

3099670078_c9f2d38d2f_b.jpg

The biggest issue we had to face was the harshness of the sun; it was about 3PM which was not the ideal time but that's all we hard :) This is my first set with an external flash.

Please, give me any feedback so I can improve!

I like you're aspect ratio.

Your second image doesn't seem very well focused.

And obviously the lighting on the second and third presents some challenges.

But overall I like the composition and the overall picture.

Lighting is actually what I need to figure out; I just got an external flash and I have to find out how to make sure the foreground matches the background.

The second pic literally looks like she's been pasted on another picture, which the first one does not have that problem at all.

Is there a process to follow in order to match foreground and background?

1st one looks decent, 2nd and 3rd look OOF and pasted on the background

I didn't forget :)

3099764680_beacd52193_b.jpg

But we can see it from our house, so the Hollywood sign is not really special to us.

1st one looks decent, 2nd and 3rd look OOF and pasted on the background

What is the process to match the foreground with the background? (as, obviously, I can not change the background)

the last one would have been really good i think if u had something to bounce the natural light back onto her face...

You also need to watch the spike coming out of her right shoulder.

That last one was your best shot... imo, the fact that I can pretty easily tell that you used a flash pointed right at her in the first three is a significant detriment to the photos. (no biggie... you just got it, you're getting used to it)

You could try getting something to diffuse it... even just attaching an index card to the back of it and pointing it straight up would probably be great. You could also look into fash-attached softboxes and the handy dandy plastic diffuser may also be a great option.

Keep at it. It's nice that you have a subject willing to pose for you, and she even dressed nicely for the occasion.

the first set I made was pretty bad: the sun was extremly harsh; then I went with the flash, much better but she looked like a copy and paste on a background;
then I tried to lower the flash intensity, but it was really a guessing game.
I'm trying to find what is the right process to determine how much to light up a subject.
Would the flash up with a diffuser be strong enough when oudoors at 3pm though?

Most reactions

Back