Hollywood style anyone?

. To go old-Hollywood, I think there simply _must be_ at least a few obvious shadows, shadows that show the shape of the person, their outline, their nose shadow, shadows of the body parts, whatever

Derrel you old dog, you're not just another nerd with a camera you actually have talent and a feel for the period. LOL I've been studying the period and you're right the shadows are an important part of the composition. It adds to the intrigue and drama, almost another image within the image, if that makes sense. I appreciate you sharing your lighting information, I'll be commiting that to paper for future use and ideas.

Last edited:
In the 30's it was unthinkable to create glamour images showing flesh - just not acceptable. So the photograher had to create sexiness by glamourizing the hair, the face, the pose, the style... In some cases the images exude sensuality, without showing any flesh.

You hit the nail on the head! To me sensuality and even drama in an image is more than creating a mental image in the viewer, it's about creating a feeling. A shadowy sense that has no exact definition. Revealing to much skin diverts the eyes to the anatomical features and not the image as a whole. Hollywood has gotten away from this in their attempt to reveal realism to the Nth degree, not realizing that the mind will play out countless images of what's behind the curtain, but pull that shroud away and you're left with only one.

What a great set of images. They additionally amplify my shortcomings as a photographer. thank you for posting a road for me to pursue.

What a great set of images. They additionally amplify my shortcomings as a photographer. thank you for posting a road for me to pursue.

I have to agree. When I saw this set, I thought, "these images really amplify the shorcomings of @jcdeboever as a photographer"

:345:

Most reactions

Back