Home DIY Forums?

MOREGONE

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I am in the process of buying a home and am looking for a community of home owners and DIY'ers.

The house were buying seems to be in good condition so the stuff I am hoping to do is more like upgrades and improvements. I love being well educated and finding out the smart way of doing things instead of the cookie cutter way.

Any suggestions to forums with creative and well informed contributors would be appreciated.

As a contractor, I've participated on a number of forums in this area. This one is decent: DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum. there are plenty others. As always, join, then lurk and figure out who the arm-chair experts are, and who actually do know of what they speak. There are lots of others, but I focused only on a few. After a while, you find some of the same people visiting different forums. Lots of people go to these forums to try and do things on the cheap. Unfortunately, most of the time, doing it cheap is not compatible with doing it right. Just as on TPF, the amount of useful advice you can get out of these forums depends on how much effort you're prepared to invest in researching and explaining the specific situation you're having issues with. Also, be very careful about advice that deals with a climate which is very different from yours. There are things that make lots of sense in one climate, that are absolutely the wrong thing to do in another.

this cost me like $15 in wood:

DSC_5336.JPG

DSC_5348.JPG

DSC_5368.JPG

now this was REALLY fun...

DSC_5535.JPG

DSC_5539.JPG

here's the job I conceded to experts:

IMAG0174.jpg

You can check my "started threads" to see my remodel in progress.

All work done by myself.

This was during (and while absolutely freaking nasty)

$033.JPG

And "almost" done
$1511011_10201837036109565_1777425697962873651_n.jpg

Thanks for the replies DIYchatRoom seems like just what I was looking for. Vast amount of info I can search and lots of active participation.

We just got the inspection done yesterday and this house is in great shape. so excited.

The garage has its own AC unit so I will be able set up a proper studio in there whenever it is needed. Really excited about that (Phoenix garages are typically unfathomably hot)

Follow up request...

Any good blogs you recommend?

I follow blogs like Gizmodo, Lifehacker, FStoppers, Jalopnik, etc Would like to find blogs with this type of curated content as well as original articles that are generally geared towards my demographic.

Thanks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back