Home Studio Help

rjackjames

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone,

I bought a home studio set includes the following 3 Interfit EX150 MARK II lights background stands, umbrella and soft box and DVD. I have this studio set up in my living room. The issues I am coming with is with the fill light because they makes the picture washout no matter if I reduce the power. Am I doing something wrong? Also I have use a high ISO and lower f stop and I am averaging around 1/30s.

This is my first studio set, I am pretty much learning still... I appreciate any tip, ideas, technical help.

Hello everyone,

I bought a home studio set includes the following 3 Interfit EX150 MARK II lights background stands, umbrella and soft box and DVD. I have this studio set up in my living room. The issues I am coming with is with the fill light because they makes the picture washout no matter if I reduce the power. Am I doing something wrong? Also I have use a high ISO and lower f stop and I am averaging around 1/30s.

This is my first studio set, I am pretty much learning still... I appreciate any tip, ideas, technical help.

You gotta lower your ISO to 200, move F stop to 7-11, and up your shutter speed to 1/150-1/250 atleast.

Hello everyone,

You gotta lower your ISO to 200, move F stop to 7-11, and up your shutter speed to 1/150-1/250 atleast.

:thumbup:

Sounds like you are just using the modelling lights and not triggering the flash you should be in manual, lowest ISO about F9 upwards 1/125

Sounds like you are just using the modelling lights and not triggering the flash you should be in manual, lowest ISO about F9 upwards 1/125

Yes, I'd agree with gsgary...it sounds like you re using the modeling lamps as the source lighting for the exposures, based upon your need of a high ISO setting and a shutter speed averaging 1/30 second. Did the kit come with a long, thin PC synchronization connecting cord aka a "PC Cord" or a "synch cord"?

ALternately, one can set the camera's in-built flash unit to a Manual flash output mode, using the camera's menu system, and dial the flash power down to around 1/8 or 1/16 power with MANUAL control over the flash output or flash metering mode, and then flip the studio flash units' "Slave" or "eye" or "remote trigger" switch to ON; that switch will see the flash from the camera firing, and will automatically trigger the studio flash units to fire, within just milliseconds.

Set the camera's exposure mode control to Manual mode (M) and set a shutter speed of 1/100 second, lens to f/9 or so, ISO 100 to 200...see what happens.

Yes, I'd agree with gsgary...it sounds like you re using the modeling lamps as the source lighting for the exposures, based upon your need of a high ISO setting and a shutter speed averaging 1/30 second. Did the kit come with a long, thin PC synchronization connecting cord aka a "PC Cord" or a "synch cord"?

ALternately, one can set the camera's in-built flash unit to a Manual flash output mode, using the camera's menu system, and dial the flash power down to around 1/8 or 1/16 power with MANUAL control over the flash output or flash metering mode, and then flip the studio flash units' "Slave" or "eye" or "remote trigger" switch to ON; that switch will see the flash from the camera firing, and will automatically trigger the studio flash units to fire, within just milliseconds.

Set the camera's exposure mode control to Manual mode (M) and set a shutter speed of 1/100 second, lens to f/9 or so, ISO 100 to 200...see what happens.

Yes the kit with a long PC cord. I tried what you guys told me, yea I have a better understanding of it. when its in M mode the exposure bar +2? is that normal? not to be dumb how do set Manual flash output mode on the 5d mark II?

Yes the kit with a long PC cord. I tried what you guys told me, yea I have a better understanding of it. when its in M mode the exposure bar +2? is that normal? not to be dumb how do set Manual flash output mode on the 5d mark II?

Have you watched the included Instructional DVD that came with the kit?

Have you watched the included Instructional DVD that came with the kit?

Yes I did not much information on it....

Set your camera to Manual, dial in F9,1/125, iso100, one flash camera left at about 4 feet from model 45degrees to model and hight at 45degrees to model at 1/2 power, second light opposite first light not as high on 1/4 power, make sure the optical slave is turn on the flash heads connect the sinc lead that came with the lights. Now take a shot and check histogram if you go to info you will see any flashing highlights if you have flashing highlights on the models face reduce the power of the first light, then post results
Hope this helps

Most reactions

Back