homeless man

JimmyJaceyMom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
bumMOD.jpg

bum2MOD.jpg

You know what's funny? I thought the same thing when I saw him up close. About his clothes I mean. They were pretty clean and he folded his stuff up so nicely.
I'm not yet confident enough to take a picture of a stranger while they are looking but I was standing away from him taking pics of my mom and then sneaking some of him. ;)
We were doign the March of Dimes walk and he was sleeping on this bench on our way through - 3,000 people participated in that walk and he slept through the hwole thing right there on that bench!

I don't think hes homeless. I think he ****ed off his wife and she kicked him to the curb for a couple of days. :)

wow ... I cant say ****ed?

Nope uyou can't say ****ed.. haha. I went to post a pic under my little league title and it was called James hits ball. If you run it all together it says Jame s h i t s ball. It wont let me post it! hahahaha

Anyhow I'm pretty sure he was homeless. His clothes werent that dirty but he wreaked and his hair was NASTY greasy (caca). And he was way too comfortable sleeping on a bench with 3,000 people walking by. Not to mention when we walked away we rwere the last people and his 'bedroom' became his bathroom! Mom mom was never so sorry to have looked behind her. :lol:

it's visible that you didn't feel comfortable taking pictures of him. They lack closeness. I mean: it's like you waited for the moment he turned away from you...'click'...and that's it.
But I know the feeling: I'm no hero either when it comes to taking pics of strangers.

pascal

it's visible that you didn't feel comfortable taking pictures of him. They lack closeness. I mean: it's like you waited for the moment he turned away from you...'click'...and that's it.
But I know the feeling: I'm no hero either when it comes to taking pics of strangers.

pascal

Well you are exactly right! My mother and I actually spotted him on our way past when he was just waking up and when we went back I had my camera ready for the 'sneak attack' LOL.
He actually had very kind eyes and I dont really think he would have minded me taking a better picture but right now I lack the confidence. I actually got worried that he knew what I was doing because he kept turning around and looking to see us, but it turned out he was simplyu waiting for us to go away so he could pee. hahahaha

You should have hid and waited for that moment, and freak him out while he's at it!

But on the more serious note, I think you need to think about the emotion that you associate with this particular subject/person and try to express that. However, most of the times it comes unexpected.

I don't get this really. What is the concept behind these shots? I really have a problem with it myself. For one, you took these without his permission. I can understand it if you wanted to show people a side of this lifestyle that might in turn help this man and people like him. but what did you do it for? just to make a spectacle of him?

Not to take sides but... I once saw these two old guys on a bench at walmart. It was perfectly legal to just shoot them but I thought what the heck, I asked them, "Hey guys mind if I shoot your picture?"

"What for?" one asked.

I didn't have an answer for him. What do you tell two eighty year old guys sitting on a bench at walmart?

"I want your pictures to show on a forum so everyone can feel better about themselves for ten minutes. I realized I should have just made the damn picture because all of us felt bad and I had nothing to show for it.

My point is a picture is just a picture. The viewer takes what he will from it. You shoot a poignant shot and everybody takes away something different.

Someone might be moved to go help the next homeless man they see, others might go home and kiss their spouse and thank god someone loves them. Someone else might finally go to that aa meeting. So the point is I guess, it isnt up to the tape recorder to judge the music or to determine its use.

I somewhat agree with what you said, but at the same time.....homeless or not, he's still a person, and to use him as a subject without his permission is unethical in my opinion. what if it was against his religion to be photographed? there's no way of knowing unless he's asked. maybe if you don't feel comfortable asking for his consent, you should question your motives.

There is probably some truth there but if you take a shot of a crowd at the amusement park, would you ask everyone there. They pretty much have no expectation of privacy in a public place. I know I have zero expectations that my privacy will be honored when I'm out of my house. Whether by law or by custom we are used to having people use our image while in a public place. Ie the camera in the gas station, the one at the cash register in most stores ect.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back