Homemade Tripod Pieces?

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I want to make a tripod mounting bracket out of wood. I really love all of "really right stuff's" products, but no way in heck I can afford the couple hundred I'd need. I want to be able to back my camera up a few inches to have the swivel be beneath the center of the lens (removing the parallax effect), and I want to make an L-bracket. To make it, I need your help. Where can I find the mounting pieces? Like, a metal piece that accepts a tripod screw, and a tripod screw itself?

Allowing me to set it up like this:

Really Right Stuff-Level

Best,
Jake

Why not try a simple focus rail?

So, I want to make a tripod mounting bracket out of wood. I really love all of "really right stuff's" products, but no way in heck I can afford the couple hundred I'd need. I want to be able to back my camera up a few inches to have the swivel be beneath the center of the lens (removing the parallax effect), and I want to make an L-bracket. To make it, I need your help. Where can I find the mounting pieces? Like, a metal piece that accepts a tripod screw, and a tripod screw itself?

Allowing me to set it up like this:

Really Right Stuff-Level

Best,
Jake

This stuff ain't RSS-quality, but I bet it's better (and easier) than home-made, and I believe generic aluminum is optically equivalent to name-brand aluminum.

Desmond arca-compatible L Plate

Desmond 5.5-Inch 140mm arca-compatible lens plate

Desmond panning clamp

I've got several of their arca plates and a couple of clamps -- nothing fancy there, and I've had no issues so far. The generic L-plate might not allow access to all your camera's connectors & so forth while it's connected (that's why the custom-made ones are more expensive), but it might be enough for your needs. The panning clamp, by the way, would be nice, but is also very likely more than you really need -- it's certainly more than you'd be able to make by hand.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Tripod threads are 1/4NC - available at every hardware store in the civilized world in any length and with any head, why not simply just troll Craig's List 'til you see a reasonably priced option come up? Making something like this isn't terribly difficult IF you already have the tools and a little knowledge, but without the tools, it will be a real challenge, and likely not worth the effort.

Most reactions

Back