Homestead

HikinMike

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.imagesinthebackcountry.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Taken along highway 395 on my way home from my Lone Pine, CA trip last week....

_MG_3002-bw.jpg

5D, 70-200mm f/4L, ISO 400, f/11, 1/500

There is not enough contrast between the sky and the mountain for my taste.

I'd be dodgin' those hills.

Mike, I like this but agree with Keith about the mountain-sky contrast. Maybe a bit of lightening up the sky would help it.

You mean that's not from an Ansel Adams glass plate negative from his Korona camera, that you bought at a garage sale in Fresno 10 years ago???

I take it, this is a photo taken with the polarising filter turned to its FULL effect, then worked at in colour until it was really contrasty and brilliant, and THEN converted into a very contrasty black&white?

I think there is enough contrast between mountains and sky, though the very dark sky makes one stop and think for a moment. But stop and think is never bad when it comes to viewing photos, is it? ;)

I take it, this is a photo taken with the polarising filter turned to its FULL effect, then worked at in colour until it was really contrasty and brilliant, and THEN converted into a very contrasty black&white?

I think there is enough contrast between mountains and sky, though the very dark sky makes one stop and think for a moment. But stop and think is never bad when it comes to viewing photos, is it? ;)

No CP on this one. I processed it as a regular color image, then converted it into a BW. It's late and I don't have Photoshop opened, but I'll post the color version tomorrow.

Then how did you get the darkness of the sky and the brightness in the patches of snow, I wonder? How can you create such a distinct "polariser effect" in post? It genuinely interests me.

Here's the color version. I used two Curves, one for the background and one for the foreground and added a little Saturation. I used Channel Mixer in CS2 to convert it to black in white (170, -14, -60 and -2).

Feel free to suggest/show another conversion. :)

_MG_3002.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back