Hon Headshots

Samerr9

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all

Here are the headshots.. C&C is much appriciated.

Thank you.

Honey1_zps6eef8ecf.jpg

honey2_zps3eef1348.jpg

_MG_8969-Edit_zps3a143e7b.jpg

Critique on what category? The lighting, composure, setting? Etc?

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything :)

It is nice to hear what other photographers think of your work in all aspects. If they like something or dislike and why..

Lighting is smooth and even skin is (photoshopped?) porcelain smooth.

Depends on what it's for, if its for her as a headshot/portfolio for modeling/acting, it's fine, if its for you and you want to do more than take head shots, the. It's "boring" and you don't have any full body images so we only get a small scope of your capability as a lighting photographer, the white background is nice and soft but uninteresting. Don't get me wrong they are very nice, well done, but you asked for criticism. I see these and say oh how nice. Not WOW how did he/she do that?!!

Keep at it, you're probably doing better than me ;)

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Depends on what it's for, if its for her as a headshot/portfolio for modeling/acting, it's fine, if its for you and you want to do more than take head shots, the. It's "boring" and you don't have any full body images so we only get a small scope of your capability as a lighting photographer, the white background is nice and soft but uninteresting. Don't get me wrong they are very nice, well done, but you asked for criticism. I see these and say oh how nice. Not WOW how did he/she do that?!!

~Stone

The skin is photoshoped for sure, but it is not overdone.. You might see it softer as I didn't sharpnes after I resized.

The title is "Hon Headshots". So it is expected to see headshots only.. Kilndly check the other thread titled "Hon" also in the professional gallery for full body shots with different lighting setups. And yes those were taken for her to biuld up her portfolio..

Thank you for your comments again :)

~Stone

The skin is photoshoped for sure, but it is not overdone.. You might see it softer as I didn't sharpnes after I resized.

The title is "Hon Headshots". So it is expected to see headshots only.. Kilndly check the other thread titled "Hon" also in the professional gallery for full body shots with different lighting setups. And yes those were taken for her to biuld up her portfolio..

Thank you for your comments again :)

I'm on my phone so sorry I missed the headshot part, in that case very good.

And overdone is a matter of opinion. I'm both a photographer and part of the American Acting world, here, they are starting to ask for CELL PHONE shots, why? Because of all the photoshopping, people show up and look nothing like their images, so many actors are not getting headshots as much because the casting people don't trust them.

Personally I thought it was too much, but I'm a purist. It's obviously enough that I noticed that first before I even noticed the lighting techniques. Again I'm biased.

Your welcome, hope it wasn't too harsh.

Good job :)

~Stone

On 1 and 2, her face looks out of focus compared to her sharp, clear hair. I suppose it's due to some kind of skin smoothing? ALso, in 1 and 2, her outline looks oddly sharp...a bit too much blow-back from the background light I think is causing that cut-out effect. I also cannot understand why these are shot as horizontals, with all that empty white space on either side of her. Overall, these are not the usual type of work I am used to seeing from you.

Something looks weird to me with all the edges... especially with her hair, but all the edges in general. Did you cut her out of a different background, and/or mask her out and change the background so it was a solid, bright white?

I dunno how to explain what I'm seeing. Just something doesn't look right. The shadows on her arms don't seem consistent with what the background is doing. Or something.

Someone with better control over terminology and the English language get in here and explain what I'm trying to explain! :lol:

I'm on my phone so sorry I missed the headshot part, in that case very good.

And overdone is a matter of opinion. I'm both a photographer and part of the American Acting world, here, they are starting to ask for CELL PHONE shots, why? Because of all the photoshopping, people show up and look nothing like their images, so many actors are not getting headshots as much because the casting people don't trust them.

Personally I thought it was too much, but I'm a purist. It's obviously enough that I noticed that first before I even noticed the lighting techniques. Again I'm biased.

Your welcome, hope it wasn't too harsh.

Good job :)

~Stone

No need for appologies, we are here to share our work and get feedback.

About skin retouching, you explained that very clearly.. it is a matter of taste :) On my screen with 100% crop I am really happy with the details and I agree it looks little overdone when resized. Thank you :)

On 1 and 2, her face looks out of focus compared to her sharp, clear hair. I suppose it's due to some kind of skin smoothing? ALso, in 1 and 2, her outline looks oddly sharp...a bit too much blow-back from the background light I think is causing that cut-out effect. I also cannot understand why these are shot as horizontals, with all that empty white space on either side of her. Overall, these are not the usual type of work I am used to seeing from you.

Thank you Derrel for your time commenting..

Regarding the face sharpness, other than the skin softening.. it is not sharp honestly! I was close by the model at 200mm f4! Only the eyes are really sharp.. I was using a tripod and one of the focus pts on the side so I don't loose the focus when recomposing.. Well, I saw alot of pros doing simular composition and I really liked it! I know it is not in the compostion rules but I feel this exception it is kind of simple and artistic.. For my taste I really liked it and Hon loved the photos, and that is what I care for more..

Finally about the background, it is little confusing to me also. I did washout any remaining details in the white in post.. but I had a look at the originals unedit and I think it is the same! The metering was f11 on the BG and f4 for the light bouncing back on the model's back.. I did that before and didn't have this result. Probably because I was shooting at 200mm f4, the depth of field is very shallow sp more of the out of focus hair was lost.. That is the only explanation comming to me now..

I would like it better without that large stray hair running down her forehead - it's all I can look at

Me too :) It was only me and her. Here is where you really benifit from a good MUA.. Thank you for commenting..

If it's a headshot, why can't I see all of her head?????

Because the face will be smaller in the frame as I zoom out and I wanted to show the connection in here..

Again, it is not in composition rules.. I just saw simular work and I really liked it, so I tried it and I really like the results!

Thank you :)

Something looks weird to me with all the edges... especially with her hair, but all the edges in general. Did you cut her out of a different background, and/or mask her out and change the background so it was a solid, bright white?

I dunno how to explain what I'm seeing. Just something doesn't look right. The shadows on her arms don't seem consistent with what the background is doing. Or somethin

Someone with better control over terminology and the English language get in here and explain what I'm trying to explain! :lol:

I tried to resolve this issue of the edges when replying to Derrel and I felt the same when I was typing :) why is it difficult to explain sometimes :)

Thank you for commenting..

Would you be willing to post one of the originals unedited? I'm curious to see how the background looks in those.

If it's a headshot, why can't I see all of her head?????
This^^ I really dislike headshots with the top of the head hacked off. They just look sloppy and poorly composed to me.

At the end it is your opinion but look around you, in ads, magazines etc.. Best photographers cut of heads, it is modern style.. To me, I like it way better than all empty space over the heads that you can also see alot but not in ads nor magazines..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back