Hoodie: PP & CC

kanuski

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It is -20 C today in northern Saskatchewan. A good day to play indoors.
$IMG_4075-2.jpg $IMG_4075.jpg
I took a shot of my son with a bunny hug (hoodie). I need to make some changes, either in my setup or in PP.
I used a hard flash behind his head and a shoot though umbrella from below. I think the face looks good but the hoodie is too bright. Should I change the setup somehow?
I have Lightroom 4 for PP but it can't fix my mistakes. I want to make his face darker but have his eyes pop. When I get his face right the hoodie is too bright, esp the button and the strings. When the hoodie is right the face is too dark. I can't seem to fix this in LR4 and don't have Photoshop. If you want to give it a shot the raw file is here.

Edit: On closer look it looks like pretty hard light on his face. Probably wasn't using an umbrella on this one.

Last edited:
at his age i am guessing he doesn't want you calling it a "bunny hug"...I would anyway though.

careful, john. else there will be ponies.

Thanks. That looks a lot better.
I can't afford Photoshop right now so I am trying to get GIMP working with raw files. Not having much luck.
(I hope GIMP isn't a 4-letter word around here.)

The slight tilt adds a degree of derangement, while corrected I think the image more implies power.

The slight tilt adds a degree of derangement, while corrected I think the image more implies power.

He was holding his head on an angle in the original. I suppose it should be tilted first and then cropped. I will see if I can get GIMP working.

I can understand why people would find this distracting. I kind of like it. Like he's going to pull a knife or something. Like he's all cracked out. It really depends on what kind of feelings you want to get from the image.

Is he more deliberate and powerful, like a hitman - or futz up, unpredictable and irrational, like a meth head?

How does this look. Tilted straight, cropped and adjusted as close as I could get to the last version.
$IMG_4075-3.jpg
I learned how to use a brush in Lightroom to adjust exposure to different locations. I also used spot remover to remove some of those teenage spots on his face. Then I realized the the spot remover works great on buttons as well.
Thanks for your help everyone.

Well, here's my take on it. Laugh at my weak abilities to edit:

Attachments

• $Hoodie Kid_small.jpg
    $Hoodie Kid_small.jpg
    556.3 KB · Views: 72

Most reactions

Back