hoods & filters

dak1b

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello All!

I was just curious about camera hoods and filters. What are some good filters to have? I was looknig into those macro filters..looked cool...are there different size hoods for each lens or can i use a universal hood for all my lens?

thanks a mill!:mrgreen:

For hoods/filters it all depends on the lens you have. What lens do you want to buy a hood and filter for?

Hoods: Get the one designed for your particular lens. Always use it.

Filters: There are only three that I consider useful. 1) A circular polarizer, 2) a neutral density and 3) a graduated neutral density. For protection.... pffft. DO NOT squander the cash for cheap instead of a good filter. You will be throwing good money for bad. I am an advocate for B+W and Singh-Ray, but the Hoya PRO1 series is pretty good. Just make sure you get the multi-coated.

The "three step" macro filters are a waste of your money. See below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also depends on what you're shooting. For film, I like a Red Hoya for contrast in B&W, especially sky's, clouds...etc..

J.:mrgreen:

Hoods: Get the one designed for your particular lens. Always use it.

Filters: There are only three that I consider useful. 1) A circular polarizer, 2) a neutral density and 3) a graduated neutral density. For protection.... pffft. DO NOT squander the cash for cheap instead of a good filter. You will be throwing good money for bad. I am an advocate for B+W and Singh-Ray, but the Hoya PRO1 series is pretty good. Just make sure you get the multi-coated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7rrEQxjHmA

Thanks for posting that, Brian teaches some great lessons that are easy to understand. His Youtube page= http://www.youtube.com/user/ppsop2009

Just curious, what are the advantages of using a lens hood "always"? I think mine has been on my lens once or twice?
A lens hood improves contrast, acts as a buffer that protects the front glass from damage and reduces the chances of getting lens flair when the lens is pointed close to a bright light source.

Most reactions

Back