Hoods: Petal or round?

JClishe

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I did a lot of outdoor shooting over the weekend and got a lot of lens flares, so I think it's time for a hood. Question though, is there an advantage of petal shaped or round hoods? Isn't a petal hood a disadvantage if you hold your camera in portrait orientation, as then the short "petal" would be on top and less effective for blocking sun?

Jason

Petal hoods are designed to give the maximum effect, especially on wider-angle lenses. You're right, in portrait orientation, you'll have the small 'petal' on top. You could consider a full, round hood or (if you can) rotating the petal hood by 90 degrees, but your risk vignetting.

Petal hoods are used for lenses where the front element doesnt rotate and the round are used for lenses with rotating front elements. So im guessing your 28-135mm lens rotates at the front when you focus, so you would use a round hood for it. also when buying hoods each lens has its own hood, so you most likely wouldnt have a choice anyway, maybe a choice of branded vs. third party, but they will look the same.

Petal hoods are used for lenses where the front element doesnt rotate and the round are used for lenses with rotating front elements. So im guessing your 28-135mm lens rotates at the front when you focus, so you would use a round hood for it. also when buying hoods each lens has its own hood, so you most likely wouldnt have a choice anyway, maybe a choice of branded vs. third party, but they will look the same.

that's not 100% true.

usually the petal hoods are for the wider zoom lenses and round are for normal to tele-photo lenses.

as example the canon 16-35L uses a petal hood whilst the 50 1.2 uses a round hood.

I'm not saying this is the case all the time...

Petal hoods are specifically designed for the rectangular format are are commonly found on wide angle lenses with a front section that does not rotate. The horizontal sections are smaller (than the vertical) to fit the widest angle to maximize the coverage.

Circular hoods are used when the front section rotates so that the coverage is the same. These are designed to be wide/short enough to cover the widest angle of the lens without vignetting

that doesn't really explain why canon's 70-200 and their bigger tele's use the circulars as their front elements don't rotate.

edit: I just looked it up, and the 70-200 does have a petal, but the 100-400, and the 400mm 2.8 etc. all have circular hoods, and I'm pretty sure their front elements don't rotate

Cheaper/easier to make circular hoods.

Mostly found in wider angles ... I think once the focal length gets long the hood is sufficiently large enough that there is no advantage to using a petal type.

Petal hoods look cooler.

i have that lense and i could only find the petel hood for it and it works just fine.

that doesn't really explain why canon's 70-200 and their bigger tele's use the circulars as their front elements don't rotate.

edit: I just looked it up, and the 70-200 does have a petal, but the 100-400, and the 400mm 2.8 etc. all have circular hoods, and I'm pretty sure their front elements don't rotate

The 70-200 2.8's have a petal, the f/4's do not.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back