Hope this is in the right place..

crazy_dragonlady

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not exactly sure if this is in the right forum but I've seen other's here request comments/criticism on their photos... could y'all let me know what you think of this one? I used the "P" setting on the camera so it basically selected all the settings and I didn't use a tripod. However, it didn't give me the effect that I wanted... and I am hoping to learn how to accomplish that. ;)

Anyways, here's the image.... lemme have it! :D

icytree.jpg

I think the composition is ok but the blue color to the photo isn't what I was attempting to capture... there was an eerie glow that is missed completely with the settings but I didn't know how to adjust them to capture what I wanted. I have learned a little about how to capture the look that I was after.. unfortunately I doubt I'll ever get the chance to retake this photo :x

ttfn
CDL.

it's probably better to post it in the actual critique setting, but i like it.

i like the gloominess of it. :)

Overall a neat place and a nice picture.

Check your white balance when shooting. Try shooting in RAW in the future so you can adjust WB settings a bit easier after you shoot.

I forgot to mention that this photo wasn't taken on a digital camera... but a Canon EOS 3000 with 400 ISO film. So I scanned that image in off the printed photo... I want to learn how to scan directly from my negatives though.

What worries me is that I'm not sure if the place where I got the film developed altered it as they were printing or not... I do know that they have altered other photos that I have taken to them to get developed. I wish I could find a reputable place like I had where I used to live. Any ideas of what I could do?

PCL: what do you mean "in the actual critique setting"?

ttfn
CDL.

sorry, meant section. :)

there's different sections (B&W, people, landscapes) that people post to show their pictures and ask for C&C.

That is true, images best go in the gallery ;)

But anyway, since this is film, which got developed, printed, and then scanned, there are many steps where you can lose colour accuracy and you normally have to re-adjust that in electronic postprocessing. As it is now it might have a colour cast. I of course cannot really judge this as I have not been there ;)

As for the eerie glow, you might have been able to capture it you went down a few stops. not it seems overexposed.
You have a contrasty scene, but you captured a lot of detail in the dark areas, and hence you lost some mood in the bright areas. So the light appears not as moody as it might have been.

You could try to edit your image such that you correct exposure and get it overall darker, and see if it looks more like you would like it. I would try it myself, but you said it is not OK to edit ;)

That is true, images best go in the gallery ;)

But anyway, since this is film, which got developed, printed, and then scanned, there are many steps where you can lose colour accuracy and you normally have to re-adjust that in electronic postprocessing. As it is now it might have a colour cast. I of course cannot really judge this as I have not been there ;)

As for the eerie glow, you might have been able to capture it you went down a few stops. not it seems overexposed.
You have a contrasty scene, but you captured a lot of detail in the dark areas, and hence you lost some mood in the bright areas. So the light appears not as moody as it might have been.

You could try to edit your image such that you correct exposure and get it overall darker, and see if it looks more like you would like it. I would try it myself, but you said it is not OK to edit ;)

I guess I should change that ;) I give you full permission to show me what you are talking about. I do have some photos that my husband took on the digital P&S camera we have... as a reference but unfortunately I don't have them online anywhere just yet. The fact that he took them through a window in the kitchen window might make a slight difference though :er:

BTW, thanks to everyone for the advice.

ttfn
CDL.

I'm guessing the off color could be UV light, or even a long wait between clicking the shutter and developing the film.

It's also harder to get decent lab work these days.:grumpy:

All is not lost as you can turn it into a b&w.

As for composition, I would have tried to get more of the tree.

Most reactions

Back