Hopefully last question about lenses. THANKS! Ready to BUY!

AMOMENT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm shooting a wedding for a friend in September for fun but I still want to do a good job. I'm on the hunt for a lens with macro capability. (I've heard a 50mm Macro) is great but at the same time I am in need of a low light walk around lens with good bokeh. Lastly, I also need a lens that can capture wide and large groups. Anyway to combine these needs so I don't end up needing 3 lenses? I can work with needing two. I tend to not love primes because changing my position in a split second when shooting children is a little more challenging. I don't mind buying slightly used and my budget is around $600. (if possible) I would love any of the lenses to be sufficient in low light so at least a constant aperture of 2.8 is needed. I do own an SB7000 but still would rather shoot without it. I also think it might be a good idea to have VR lens and all of the lenses have to AF with a NikonD7000.

Looking at a few lenses right now on ebay. I'm a little confused by some of the abbreviations and how to know if it will be compatible with a Nikon D7000. For isntance: EX, Dl, DC, asypherical, EX DG MACRO 24-70MM ZOOM, etc.

Here are a few that I suppose might fit some of my needs: (sorry) but really stressing buying the right thing. I thank you sincerely SO much in advance for your help. Can any of these Macro zoom lenses work for large group shots and macro/close-ups? Again, also in need of a walk around, low light lens.

1. Sigma EX DG Macro 24-70mm F2.8 Zoom Lens For Nikon $260

2. SIGMA 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG MACRO LENS FOR NIKON D3X D3-D3S-... $329

3. Sigma 50mm EX DG Macro Lens for Nikon D1 D2 D3 D50 D70 D8... $224

4. Sigma DC Aspherical Macro IF 17-70mm F/2.8-4.5 Lens For N...

5. Sigma EX DC Aspherical Macro IF 18-50mm F/2.8 Lens $429

6. Sigma EX DG 24-60mm F/2.8 Lens For Nikon $519

7. Sigma Macro 17-70mm F/2.8-4 HSM DC OS Lens For Nikon

8. Sigma EX 18-50mm F/2.8 Lens $418

9. Sigma EX Macro 50mm F/2.8 Lens $120

10. Sigma EX DG Aspherical Macro 24-70mm 2.8 Lens $499

11. Sigma EX DF Aspherical 28-70mm F/2.8 Lens For Nikon $330

12. Sigma 50mm F/2.8 Lens For Nikon

13.Tokina AT X287 AF PRO SV 28-70mm F/2.8 Lens For Nikon $325

14.Sigma EX 17-50mm F/2.8 HSM DC OS Lens For Nikon $669

P.S. Tried to join Fred Miranda site but never was able to confirm registration because they didn't email me my password. I tried another email account but still no luck.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You have to be kidding. :raisedbrow:

I highly suggest that you panic.

I've seen you post questions a lot about lenses. I would say you sit down, take some time, and put some serious thought what you need( focal range, speed, etc.) Once you get that down, start narrowing down your selections and bite the bullet. Flash is a good thing. I would suggest learning how to bounce it and maybe getting something stronger with a farther zoom if you really want to do the wedding.
JUST BUY THE LENS and go from there. Procrastination and driving yourself up the wall trying to decide what works best will get you nowhere but internet surfing and posting as the months go buy. That's what the kit lenses are for. Help you learn what you want and need in a lens. You will see that you will end up with more than one lens as there isn't an " all in one" that offers every single thing you need. Pick one and start from there.

Unfortunately I'm not. I sweat the small stuff, especially when we're talking hundreds of dollars.

no panic, just lot's of mulling

I don't think anybody here wants to tell you which specific auction you should bid on, but... I have the Sigma 17-70mm and I love it. It's not a perfect lens (far from it), but it works for me. I replaced my kit lens with it and haven't looked back. You can do group shots since it is wide, and it is also macro capable.

you do realize #1 is GBP,which is $400.84 US dollars...........

I primarily would like to purchase two lenses. I think I've narrowed them down.

1. A lens that performs well in low light/zoom/MACRO (which would also serve to replace my kit lens and be a "walk around lens.") Such as one of these: Either the SIGMA 24-70mm Macro 2.8 zoom, Sigma EX DG 24-60 2.8, Sigma EX DF Aspherical 28-70mm F/2.8 Lens For Nikon $330,Sigma EX 18-50mm F/2.8 Lens $418Sigma EX DG Aspherical Macro 24-70mm 2.8 Lens $499, or the Sigma EX DF Aspherical 28-70mm F/2.8 Lens For Nikon $330.

and a

2. A wide angle or lens capable of taking large group pictures.

Any way I can avoid getting a wide angle lens and still take large group pics?

Thanks! No, I don't want anyone to tell me whch to buy, just know that you guys are familiar with most and wanted to know if any of them stuck out in particular and or were terrible.

Right now I'm looking to spend $600 and under so the $400 is in budget. How is the bokeh on 17-70mm?

Its OK. At 70mm, your smallest aperture is f/4.

Which Sigma Macro 17-70? Should I definitely look for a lens with VR?

I really do appreciate the feedback. I know I am stressing but that is because money is limited so I would like to get the best/most for my money.

Most reactions

Back