Hoping for help.

amhenderson1979

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, here's the deal. I love photography. Of course, this is stating the obvious since I just signed up for the forums, right? Right.

Anyway, I just signed up for classes to get my Bachelor's of said love, and it's.. Pretty intimidating.

I have a list of equipment that I need, and to be very frank, at this moment in time, I'm a stay at home mom, working with a very tiny budget.

So, does anyone know where I can find used equipment, that is not Ebay, with no guarantee on whether it does or doesn't work. I would much rather buy used, until I get a firm grasp on what I'm doing, how best to care for my equipment, and if my kids trash it [which could happen, they're kids, things always happen], it's not a huge loss.

So, here's the deal. I love photography. Of course, this is stating the obvious since I just signed up for the forums, right? Right.

Anyway, I just signed up for classes to get my Bachelor's of said love, and it's.. Pretty intimidating.

I have a list of equipment that I need, and to be very frank, at this moment in time, I'm a stay at home mom, working with a very tiny budget.

So, does anyone know where I can find used equipment, that is not Ebay, with no guarantee on whether it does or doesn't work. I would much rather buy used, until I get a firm grasp on what I'm doing, how best to care for my equipment, and if my kids trash it [which could happen, they're kids, things always happen], it's not a huge loss.

The forum market here seems to have pretty great deals, but if you'd rather stick to a store I usually buy from B&H or Adorama, both of which are online and ship anywhere in the US.

Adorama and B&H carry used as well as refurbished gear, and are both great places. Your local Craigslist might also be worth looking through, just take necessary precautions, as usual.

Thanks so much. Now if I can figure out what this jargon all means, I'll be good to go. Definitions, here I come..

Problem solved. I'm four months into my photography hobby myself, and I still am learning. It's a bit daunting at first realizing just how much you have to learn, but I think it's worth it :thumbup:

lol, was already reading the camera terms for dummies!

My Equipment is as follows :

Equipment List
· Pro Series Digital SLR Camera - Must have an interchangeable lens system, 6 megapixel minimum, RAW file setting
o Memory Card
o Backup Batteries
o 18-55mm lens
o 55-200mm lens
o Camera Bag (Optional)
· Medium Sized Tripod - Must be able to firmly secure a SLR Camera + Flash
o Works for both 4x5 and SLR camera
o Monopod (Optional)
· Lighting
o 3 Light "Kit" - To include 3 Monolights, umbrellas/softboxes, radio slave set, cords and Stands
o Hot Lamps (3)
o Hot Shoe Cable (suggested)
o Reflector
o Gray Card
o Light Meter

Wow. That's a daunting list for a complete beginner!

"Pro Series" -- What gives here? A Nikon D40 would fit the bill, but I don't think anyone here would consider it "Pro" level, and I can't imagine a class requiring a D300, D700, or above.

Very daunting, at least I'm not the only one that thinks so!

I was looking at the Nikon and one of the new Sony's. I haven't read too many reviews of the Sony's use yet, though.

lol, was already reading the camera terms for dummies!

My Equipment is as follows :

Equipment List
· Pro Series Digital SLR Camera - Must have an interchangeable lens system, 6 megapixel minimum, RAW file setting
o Memory Card
o Backup Batteries
o 18-55mm lens
o 55-200mm lens
o Camera Bag (Optional)
· Medium Sized Tripod - Must be able to firmly secure a SLR Camera + Flash
o Works for both 4x5 and SLR camera
o Monopod (Optional)
· Lighting
o 3 Light "Kit" - To include 3 Monolights, umbrellas/softboxes, radio slave set, cords and Stands
o Hot Lamps (3)
o Hot Shoe Cable (suggested)
o Reflector
o Gray Card
o Light Meter

That is quite a list, but I don't see why the camera must be a "pro" camera. An entry-level Canon Rebel or Nikon D40/D3000 more than suit your needs. If you do decide to go Rebel or D40/D3000, I'd worry less about the brand/features and more about the body itself. In my opinion, at that entry-level, the difference in features is moot and the physical comfort of holding the different body shapes is much more important.

I personally would go for a Rebel XSi (I am more comfortable with Canon bodies) with kit lens and EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lens.

I wish there was a place around here that had one for me to hold, to get a feel for. Thank you so much for all the advice.

I wish there was a place around here that had one for me to hold, to get a feel for. Thank you so much for all the advice.

Not sure if this place is close to you or if they even do DSLRs, but I found this camera store near Cheyenne.

If all else fails, try asking your friends to try out their cameras, or ask your local community college's photo department :)

It's all online classes. The local college doesn't offer photography at all. Saddening, isn't it?

And that photoshop is about two hours away! >.<! That's in Colorado.

You may want to check individual camera owners' forums in their used sections.... I just picked up a Sony Alpha A100k in GREAT condition (even had all the original boxes and packaging) for $200. Not that I needed it, but it was too great of a deal to pass up, so I got it for the wife.

If you know you want a canon, check canon forums. Nikon, check Nikon forums. Sony, check Dyxum.com or other Sony forums. Etc...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back