What's new

Horseshoe Pass

Okay, here is the first tip: Try photographing with something of interest.

This photo is fine, but there is nothing that catches the eye so in the end it just looks like "and so what's the point" It's just a hill with nothing special.

I am not tryin to diss your work here, I am really trying to make you see what I mean.
 
Okay, here is the first tip: Try photographing with something of interest.

This photo is fine, but there is nothing that catches the eye so in the end it just looks like "and so what's the point" It's just a hill with nothing special.

I am not tryin to diss your work here, I am really trying to make you see what I mean.


Yeah I understand. I thought landscape shots were like that anyway.
 
I'm afraid I'd have to agree that there doesn't seem to be any point of interest. It's technically ok but lacks any sort of focal point. There really is nothing to grab the viewer.
I'm not a pro, just an average photo hack but I think in landscape photography, like any other subject matter, there has to be something to draw the viewer in.
 
I must say that I agree with the other's comments - even in a landscape shot, there has to be something that catches the viewer's eye and drags them into the image - if not, then it is just another snapshot. If you want to get a feel for good landscape photography then I would suggest that you look at some of the works of the early masters such as Ansel Adams and Eliot Porter, and more recently, the works of folks like Galen Rowell, Alain Briot, J. P. Caponigro, David Muench and whole host of others that I can only begin to name. You might also want to check out a site or two on composition in landscape, although the "rules" are similar to other types of photography, they do need to be "interpreted" in the terms of landscape composition. I would also suggest that you look at a book on landscape photography such as the one by Rob Sheppard - The Magic of Digital Landscape Photography - Amazon.com: The Magic of Digital Nature Photography (A Lark Photography Book) (9781579907730): Rob Sheppard: Books . HTH.

WesternGuy
 
Thanks for the help guys. I must admit I do prefer motorsports/urbex but its always good to try something new.
 
Its technically a good photo. When I shoot landscapes, I try to get an image with something in the landscape to focus on. I am by no means a professional landscape photographer. But I'll post one of my pics here for an example for you.. I'm not saying that my shots are perfect (I over saturated it a lot per my own taste for this shot) but you can see there's kind of a "subject" in them even though its landscape(or at least I think they do.. the people on this site will probably prove me wrong.. haha) Hope this helps (once again - these are provided for subject reference.. not necessarily because I think my photos are a perfect example of anything in this case)

7645462884_5c5c474058_z.jpg





7645467014_bf99ea25cc.jpg
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom