Hot pixels question! (semi-urgent)

Val

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'll be brief. Bought D80. Discovered it had 2 hot pixels showing up at higher ISOs. Near centre and close together. Annoying.

In a month sold D80, bough D300. Forgot to test for hot pixels (dump arse!:grumpy:). Discovered it had two hot pixels also at higher ISOs. Not so close and nearer to borders, not so annoying but still.

Should i go to the shop now and change the camera? Or is it something that Nikonians just have to live with? If i change for a clean camera, will i get hot pixels again in a month?

Sorry, im relatively new to DSLRs, but i have never ever had hot pixels on my cheap and nasty PoS cameras. I dont see how it can be a problem for serious semi-pro 2k SLRs :grumpy:

Why are two H.P.'s such a problem? Do they show up at all shutter speeds or just long shutter settings?

They show up at shutter speeds SHORTER then 1/5 and ISO higher then about 300-400.

They are not a big problem per se, but an inconvenience. They are visible on many low-light shots and sometimes even distracting.

Yea, I thought you were talking 30 sec at ISO 1600 or something. I wouldn't think you should see anything at that short a speed or low an ISO. Ours doesn't show any until the ISO gets real high and longer exposures.

Here is an example:

dp-full.jpg

Here is 100% crop:
dp-crop.jpg

Here is 100% crop when PREVIEWED ON THE SCREEN:
dp-ps.jpg

This particular shot was made 1/6 at 1600, but they both reliaby show up above 400, somwtimes as low as ~250 :(

So you would recommend to definitely change the camera?

What do you have active "D" set to?
The noise looks like you have a custom setting really amplifying the image. To have so many cameras with the same issue/s, the laws of probability are against it. I would recommend setting all settings to default and retest.

In my experience, there will always be hot pixels - if not now, then soon as a sensor ages. I've seen $50,000 CCDs with hot pixels. For computer monitors, I think generally 7 or less hot pixels are considered "okay" as in they will not take it back under warrantee. You'll need to check this with the camera manufacturer or store if you're thinking of taking it back.

In my experience, there will always be hot pixels - if not now, then soon as a sensor ages. I've seen $50,000 CCDs with hot pixels. For computer monitors, I think generally 7 or less hot pixels are considered "okay" as in they will not take it back under warrantee. You'll need to check this with the camera manufacturer or store if you're thinking of taking it back.

it really depends on the manufacturer. My Dell monitor had one...I sent it back.

Same with cameras...talk to Nikon about it.

But uh....I barely noticed it?

Nikon CAN map these out so they won't show if you send it in - or so I've been told. Might want to call up and ask about it.

I sent one (a D80) in and had it mapped out.

it really depends on the manufacturer. My Dell monitor had one...I sent it back.

Same with cameras...talk to Nikon about it.

But uh....I barely noticed it?

Eh, i had about 8 NEC monitors over a period of 8 years and NONE ever had a hot pixel. If they did it would call it unacceptable :)

What do you have active "D" set to?
The noise looks like you have a custom setting really amplifying the image. To have so many cameras with the same issue/s, the laws of probability are against it. I would recommend setting all settings to default and retest.

1/3 of the reason i changed from D80 was because D300 made amazing JPGs. So at least for me shooting it in RAW/standart settings is a waste :(

But i checked everything anyway, they are still there in raw and with std settings.

Most reactions

Back