Hotel Rooms - ( lighting issues )

Have you processed any of these images? When you're dealing with really bad photographic lighting like a hotel room, one of the most important thing is consistency in color temperature. Under all normal circumstances, I'd recommend you never use a naked pop-up flash. It's very bright, hot, direct and harsh light. If you want on-camera flash, you need a hot shoe mounted unit with at least a reflected white card if not a diffuser like this one. Other than that, I'd recommend you check out the Strobist blog for a ton of info about the best options for different lighting situations.

On a different note, I know you didn't ask for C&C on your composition, but I'd encourage you to very carefully consider what you want the viewer to focus on. The shot with the model's foot on the desk is just weird. No offense, but it's just not a flattering image.

Post some more when you figure out the lighting! I want to see more.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As you just discovered there is a WHOLE LOT MORE to photogaphy than just renting a room to have a boudoir shoot in and shooting.
There is the lighting issue and how to fix that, there are some major posing issues. Composition is seriously poor in these and the exposures are bright and all, but boudoir is not exactly all light and bright and boudoir in a hotel is RARELY bright... it looks like cheap hotel boudoir.

In order to succeed in this situation you could have used the available light just fine-had you known how. You could have created some beautiful images-had you known how to use the camera to create the exposure and the image that you envision. You could have had some really great poses here-had you known how to make them work.

Using the on board flash is the number one never do in photography. It is RARELY flattering in the least and it's almost always guaranteed to ruin your images. Yes, a flash gun would have been great-if you knew how to use it properly to create the look and exposure you want. That means YOU place the shadows where YOU want them.

Photography in a professional sense you were aiming for is not simply buying a camera and putting it in an auto mode and shooting. The camera work entails knowing how use the shutter speed, aperture and ISO to make the image creative. These could have been improved greatly with a very wide aperture to keep that hotel room out of focus and just your subject in focus. You could have gone for a grainy old film feel with a higher ISO and some black and white conversions. Of course, that means knowing how to properly convert to black and white.
Lighting a scene requires knowledge of the use of light-it doesn't have to be a flash. It can just be the light in the room or even only the light from the window. You could have even achieved exposure without flash-with knowledge.
Posing a subject requires knowledge in composition, what is going to happen to the subject in relation to where you are placing them in perspective to the lens. You know when you were a kid and got school pics taken and the photographer stretched your neck to a horrific long angle? They did that for a reason. If they didn't you'd have looked like your head was attached to your shoulders.

So... These are poor boudoir images at best. And you learned that having a great camera doesn't make you able to take amazing photos. And you learned that you have a LOT to learn.
Start here: Digital Photography Tips and Tutorials

Have you processed any of these images? When you're dealing with really bad photographic lighting like a hotel room, one of the most important thing is consistency in color temperature. Under all normal circumstances, I'd recommend you never use a naked pop-up flash. It's very bright, hot, direct and harsh light. If you want on-camera flash, you need a hot shoe mounted unit with at least a reflected white card if not a diffuser like this one. Other than that, I'd recommend you check out the Strobist blog for a ton of info about the best options for different lighting situations.

On a different note, I know you didn't ask for C&C on your composition, but I'd encourage you to very carefully consider what you want the viewer to focus on. The shot with the model's foot on the desk is just weird. No offense, but it's just not a flattering image.

Post some more when you figure out the lighting! I want to see more.

the models foot was not was a small part of an image to show the lighting I had in the room
nothing more

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
just 2 more images that I thought were not as bad:

IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0415-1.jpg

Simon

Last edited:
They're as bad...

I would like some advice on some issues in regards Hotel Room lighting.<br>I used a Hotel Room the other day and took load of images of my model and found the results not great and needed some correction using my free photo editing<br>software.&nbsp;&nbsp; In addition to the standard lighting in the room ( inc desk and standing lamp )<br>plus 2 bed lamps with an led ( I think ) reading/spot light I had 1 500W Halogen work light.<br>The images had mixed results,&nbsp;&nbsp; some ok, some good the rest had flaws, like areas of darkness,<br>shadow and some just a bit to warm ( yellow tinge ). 90% corrected by auto exposure in my photo editor.<br>One final thing I was also using my on camera flash ( not flashgun ).<br>ADVICE sought.<br><br>Am I right in thinking too many lights can clash even though on their own they are not that bright<br>and on camera flash is too weak.&nbsp; &nbsp; Also a Halogen is too bright and difficult to control properly. <br><br>Help.

Don't feel too bad about your initial formatting snafu, it can be complicated to figure out.

These are great initial shots in my opinion, as you learn more, your work will improve.

Thanks EchoingWhisper,

MLeek and Buckster
not so kind

These are great initial shots in my opinion
What's great about them?

Compared to mine. :) When I was using point and shoots, my images were awful, and I thought they were nice.
So, yours sucked SO badly, that these photos that only suck badly are still great in comparison.

Thanks for the fantastic advice and insights you've been providing on the forum, compared to the worst of the worst outright crap advice and insights that might be found somewhere, of course.

What's great about them?

Compared to mine. :) When I was using point and shoots, my images were awful, and I thought they were nice.
So, yours sucked SO badly, that these photos that only suck badly are still great in comparison.

Thanks for the fantastic advice and insights you've been providing on the forum, compared to the worst of the worst outright crap advice and insights that might be found somewhere, of course.

Yep.

So Buckster and Mleek,

Bearing in mind I only had the room lights, a Halogen and
my entry level 450D with basic on camera flash.

What would you have done to produce better results?
I ask this in all seriousness.

Simon

Most reactions

New Topics

Back