Hoverfly doin' what a hoverfly do

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Conditions were calm today any my Spirea is blooming. That made for some great hoverfly action! Oh, and one ant that couldn't stay away from the camera...

All shot with my D500, Nikon 105mm f/2.8 macro at f/10, 1/250 sec, ISO 100 with a 20mm extension tube. Custom dual flash rig.

3. For those curious. The speedlights I'm using for these are Flashpoint manual zoom flashes. At a 1/128 +.3 setting for these shots, the flash duration was between 1/10,000 and 1/20,000 of a second. And there is still motion blur in the wings...

Yes - Wow!

Excellent images.

Great set! I just started playing with extension tubes recently. Interesting new Micro-world out there to explore.

Great set! I just started playing with extension tubes recently. Interesting new Micro-world out there to explore.
Thanks! I find that using my lens at or near its MFD makes for an impractical, thin DOF. By using even a small extension tube I can achieve a magnification closer to what the MFD provides (1:1), but actually be slightly farther away than the MFD which then increases my DOF to a more useable amount. It's also a better way to keep my aperture at the sharpest the lens has rather than stretching it to f/16 or something and losing sharpness to diffraction. Even sharp lenses and good focus can look OOF with too thin of a DOF.

Excellent set.

Nominated for POTM.
Wow, thank you!

Really well done!
Thanks!

Most reactions

Back