Today's flurries

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I used my snow flake rig today (Shoot through macro stand) on the flurries that were falling. It was a good temp, about 10 deg F, so it was cold enough but still tolerable. The stand made it much easier on my back and it made the setup very repeatable when taking the glass on and off or sliding it around to find a different flake. It generally only required very minor focus adjustments once it was set up.

All shot with the D500, 105mm f/2.8 macro @ f/22, extension tubes for 1.7x magnification, 1/80 sec, ISO 200

I used my snow flake rig today (Shoot through macro stand) on the flurries that were falling. It was a good temp, about 10 deg F, so it was cold enough but still tolerable. The stand made it much easier on my back and it made the setup very repeatable when taking the glass on and off or sliding it around to find a different flake. It generally only required very minor focus adjustments once it was set up.

All shot with the D500, 105mm f/2.8 macro @ f/22, extension tubes for 1.7x magnification, 1/80 sec, ISO 200

Great set!

These are good, that DYI setup you built is really working great

Nice set. The detail is great.

Great set!
Thanks!

A-mazing!
Thank you!

These are good, that DYI setup you built is really working great
It definitely is, thanks!

Nice set. The detail is great.
Thanks!

Nice. The magnification surprised me so thanks for posting that along with the images.
Thanks! What surprised you about the magnification level? Was it that I was able to get this level of detail at only 1.7x?

Well, my rig is normally pretty close to 2X (depending on the subject, distance from it, etc) and I never thought I would be able to capture a snow flake. It made me consider that I might want to try that some time.

Nice. The magnification surprised me so thanks for posting that along with the images.
Thanks! What surprised you about the magnification level? Was it that I was able to get this level of detail at only 1.7x?

Well, my rig is normally pretty close to 2X (depending on the subject, distance from it, etc) and I never thought I would be able to capture a snow flake. It made me consider that I might want to try that some time.
I think you'd enjoy it! Some of these were heavy crops, but many of them were maybe 30% crops. It all depends on the size of the flake. Some of them were close to 3/16" in size making them easy to photograph.

Beautiful!!
Thank you!

Most reactions

Back