Two snowflakes

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Shot these two images today. The snowfall was finally at a moderate 25°F and the falling flakes were easy to catch. The weather has been bitterly cold lately and a bit rediculous... Two of the 15 or so turned out.

For anyone interested in my setup, I use my D500, Nikon 105mm micro, Kenko extension tubes for 1.7x magnification, and I shoot through glass that I let acclimate to the ambient temp. Opposite the camera, under the glass, I shoot a flash straight into the lens that is diffused with a multicolored piece of tissue paper.

f/14, 1/160 sec
2019-02-17_07-57-15.jpg

2019-02-17_07-57-20.jpg

Beautiful shots.

Great shots and thanks for the info on the setup.

Excellent macro work..

Great shots and thanks for the info on the setup.
Thanks! I'm still improving my process, but I'm happy to share what I've figured out so far!

Excellent macro work..
Thank you!

Lovely! I hope I NEVER get the chance to shoot that sort of work.
Haha, it wasn't too bad. I at least shelter in my garage so I'm out of the wind.

How did you do it without having them melt?
Magic! Kidding! I do everything outside and make sure all the equipment has acclimated to the ambient temp outside, which based on my experience, needs to he below 30°F or thing start to melt. I also have to stay out of the sun or that will melt the flakes. Even with those precautions, though, if I handle the glass to much, even with gloves, or breath on the glass, or even stand too close to the glass for too long, my body heat will be enough to effect them.

Very cool. Excellent job. Think I saw your set-up in another post. Might want to link that for others.

One of them is an imposter!
Ha, I kid! Nice pics! Are you waiting for them to go away so you can ride your bike?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back