How bad are these family photos? CC welcome!

Not sarcasm at all supraman. I am just saying even with the flash on my camera I already find it difficult already. It will be super difficult for me to direct 4-5 individuals at the same time and not being able to control my flash where i am standing. Plus maybe I have not shot long enough but so far I have not seen one photographer used off camera flash at the park. I have seen many photographers in action there.

I would only consider off camera flash on models. I think doing it for family pictures will just make my job a lot harder LOL. I have enough to worry about :).

Is this sarcasm? What's the point of this thread then? :er: I thought you wanted to make your work better, or just better without a lot of work?

Not sarcasm at all supraman. I am just saying even with the flash on my camera I already find it difficult already. It will be super difficult for me to direct 4-5 individuals at the same time and not being able to control my flash where i am standing. Plus maybe I have not shot long enough but so far I have not seen one photographer used off camera flash at the park. I have seen many photographers in action there.QUOTE]

I dont think it matters what other photographers are doing. Your shots would benefit from off camera flash.

Not sarcasm at all supraman. I am just saying even with the flash on my camera I already find it difficult already. It will be super difficult for me to direct 4-5 individuals at the same time and not being able to control my flash where i am standing. Plus maybe I have not shot long enough but so far I have not seen one photographer used off camera flash at the park. I have seen many photographers in action there.

I would only consider off camera flash on models. I think doing it for family pictures will just make my job a lot harder LOL. I have enough to worry about :).

Is this sarcasm? What's the point of this thread then? :er: I thought you wanted to make your work better, or just better without a lot of work?

I've used OCF in a park-like environment. Well, an open field. But its the same thing really. It works, srsly.

Ok.. I will give it a shot. I need to buy another flash. Stupid 500D cant do of camera flash :(

Ok.. I will give it a shot. I need to buy another flash. Stupid 500D cant do of camera flash :(

Why? Just get a radio trigger like Cactus V4s and a modifier for your flash. You gotta start somewhere. Doesn't mean you need another flash though.

Schwetty, you might not have to. For outdoor shooting, especially with good sunlight, a nice set of reflectors can work *wonders.*

This is what I use, but you can find some decent ones for as little as 20.00.

Westcott Illuminator Reflector Kit 6-in-1 - 42" 1032 - B&H

Just angle them correctly and the difference will be nearly as dramatic as though you had used a flash, and still maintain a good natural look.

The nice thing, too, is that you can combine tones..like the silver and gold sides reflecting back for a nice effect. Or you can bring your subjects out into the full sunlight and use your diffuser to keep the lighting even. Tons of possibilities opened up with a very simple solution. (and more portable than OCF outdoors IMO).

It's also great to just bounce your current on camera flash off the relector, to avoid the "point and shoot" look.

^
BAM!

solid advice if you want to avoid OCF for a bit.

ETTL what's that? J/K go manual next time, that way you can lower the power a bit.
You don't need to use manual to lower the power...that is what FEC is for.

Overall, I think you did a good job. I don't mind the look that many people are calling over-flashed. It works, I think, because the background is fairly bright in most photos. A better solution, as some have noted, might be to find a location and shooting angle where your background isn't so bright, which should allow you to tone down the flash exposure and still maintain a nice balance.

I do agree with those that don't like the flat light from the camera mounted flash. It can be OK when it's mainly fill light, but because you are using so much flash exposure, it's pretty much the main light on the subjects, thus making them look flat. One solution would be to get the flash off-camera, another would be to use less flash and more ambient. Yes, you said that more ambient would mean blown out backgrounds...but that's where it's up to you to find a better angle/location.

The suggestion of a reflector was a good one...also, it's really helpful to have a voice activated light stand when using a reflector.

The suggestion of a reflector was a good one...also, it's really helpful to have a voice activated light stand when using a reflector.[/QUOTE]

Greatness! Good laugh. :lol:

get a stand, umbrella and a cheap set of ctr-301p and your golden!

I'd never bother to set up off camera flash on a family with young children shoot. For what? The kids are going to be all over and you get better photos, IMO when they are not so posed, I have found the kids direct the shoot, I just follow them around, leading them into positions I feel would make a good shot, be ready at all times to catch it.
Now if they wanted posed family shots, with no movement, then that is another thing, but I just think if they wanted that, go to walmart and for 7.99 you can get an huge package.
I think most people hire natural light photographers for the different images they can capture.

Hey Schwetty ... I like the pics. I do agree on the flash, but hey experience is our teacher right, lol. I just did my first family portrait out at a park this past weekend as well, and used off camera flash. I used the Cactus V4's that were mentioned in this thread earlier.

Yah, at first it got to be a pain, moving flash on the stands around and such, but once you get the hang of it, man i think it looks so much better!

Give it a shot. Cactus V4 with trigger and recevied = like $45 and $24 for an additional receiver.

with cactus I cant do ETTL correct?

right.
you wont need to though.

You wont really need it, just set the flash to manual and adjust as needed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back