How Big Can I Print?

ChrisF79

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just bought a Nikon D80 and waiting on it to arrive. If I take a picture and it comes out nice enough to become a print for my wall, how large can I go before the picture stops looking nice?

Well, let's see. I shoot with an old D100 (6 MP) and the D80 has 10.2 MP)
I make excellent 20x30 prints from the D100, and could easily go up to at least 30x40 without significant deterioration.

So ... with 10.2 MP ... the sky's the limit! (Well, no, not really. But don't let the naysayers tell you you can only print up to 11-14 or something from the D80.) Just be sure you always shoot in either RAW or the highest possible jpg settings ... and learn to optimize your files correctly in Photoshop.

You're gonna love that camera!

You can print as large as you want...just keep the viewing distance in mind.

Billboards don't look so good when you are one foot away from them...but they look great as you drive by on the road below.

The same applies to your photos. You can make large prints that might not look great when close up, but they will look much better as you back up.

Also, keep in mind that there are other factors that contribute to a good looking large photo. A good quality lens, the use of a tripod (with remote and MLU), low ISO (low noise) etc.

This is a good incentive to always do your best to get sharp photos, because you might want to make a large print.

Very good news. My girlfriend complains that my house looks like the typical bachelor pad because the walls are completely bare. I think I might take a few pics of places I really like in Southwest Florida and they'd definitely make great prints. I just don't want a bunch of 8x10's hanging up.

I make excellent 20x30 prints from the D100, and could easily go up to at least 30x40 without significant deterioration.

I'm sorry but I don't believe you.

Or your eyes are going bad.

Either or.

Not everyone evaluates prints with there nose pressed up against them.

Not everyone evaluates prints with there nose pressed up against them.

You'd have to be viewing from the moon to think that a 20x30 or 30x40 print from a 6mp camera looked sharp. :lmao:

Not to be argumentative ... but ... Sorry Max. They ARE sharp and show NO pixelization - even from a couple of feet away.

You're welcome to come by my studio and check them out any time you're in Northwest Florida. Several serious, and very picky, professional photographers around here have seen them. So it's not just me saying this.

I'm sure it has a lot to do with the quality of the original (excellent!), the ability to do post processing the right way (yeah, I really DO know how), and the quality of the printer (in this case, an Epson 9600 in the capable hands of one of the most experienced printers I've ever worked with.)

Sadly, there will always be some who'll say it can't be done ... while others will just go ahead and do it.

NOW! Back to ChrisF79 ... Go for it! Maybe work up to these sizes, but don't be afraid to try. And, more important! While you're decorating your apartment, you could do worse than to include a couple of great pix of that girlfriend of yours.

I shot an image RAW from my D200 and had it printed 60" by 120" (that's 5 feet by 12 feet) and that came out crystal sharp even with your nose pressed against it.

It can be done. I did it.

Not to be argumentative ... but ... Sorry Max. They ARE sharp and show NO pixelization - even from a couple of feet away.

And closer than several feet away? Do you have a guard-rail or something?

I believe him Max, as long as the enlarging process in PP is good I'm sure he could get okay quality 20x30's with a 6mp camera. (it probably helps if it's ISO 100, RAW, etc..)

I just got my first big print (20x30) with my 10mp camera (amazing, I know) and it surprised me how it came out. No pixelation or anything, a tad soft, but that's probably because of my PP. (I had no experience with prints like this)

The claim that one can print a 6mp image "without significant deterioration" at 30x40 is a wild exaggeration to say the least. I believe it's patently untrue at any reasonably close viewing distance. Do the math...that's 70ppi.

Whatever a 6mp image at that size looks like, it isn't sharp at any normal contrast level. If you think that's sharp, you don't know what sharp is.

Most reactions

Back