Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
F***ing brilliant! While strolling through the Flash Zebra website, I came across this little gem of an accessory; the ideal thing for wedding and group shooters who have a V.A.L.* available. MUCH nicer than having to hold a monopod or lightstand by the base!

*Voice Activated Lightstand.

That is brilliant. You've got to hand it to Lon over at Flashzebra...he doesn't carry everything under the sun...just the stuff that is actually useful.

Yeah...I was in Home Depot about 2 weeks ago, actually SHOPPING for some stuff to make this portable shooting cart deal I've been working on, and I saw some extension poles and thought about how they'd make a decent boom arm to hold a small light unit...affordably...buuuut....I'd have to epoxy a spigot for 5/8 inch onto the top...this 3/4 inch by 5 thread adapter looks really good...but old' cheapskate me thinks $19.95 is more than it's worth...but then again...now maybe you and that fancy metal-working lathe and tap and die set ya got...hmmm...

...but old' cheapskate me thinks $19.95 is more than it's worth...but then again...now maybe you and that fancy metal-working lathe and tap and die set ya got...hmmm...
Actually, I think that's a pretty reasonable price. In jobber quantity, the stock for one would be $5-7, machine time would be 30 minutes, and that rounded Acme-style internal thread would be difficult to cut. I'm going to order a couple "just in case".

Epoxy is an interesting idea, Derrel.

I bet you could:

1) drill a pretty good sized hole in a block of hardwood, big enough to shove the threaded end into with a little wiggle room
2) get yourself an extension pole
3) wrap the threaded part in plastic sheet (I think a shopping bag would work)
4) insert this wrapped end into the block
5) inject epoxy into the hole to fill. You might use a filler in the epoxy, for strength
6) let cure. If you've selected the plastic sheet properly, the pole-end won't have bonded to the epoxy at all, and you
will have fabricated yourself a threaded wooden block

Mount whatever you want on the other side of the wooden block.

Is it less than $20? If you have a couple cans of West System, or System 3 lying around, it probably is.

Is it good sticky fun? Heck yeah!

F***ing brilliant! While strolling through the Flash Zebra website, I came across this little gem of an accessory; the ideal thing for wedding and group shooters who have a V.A.L.* available. MUCH nicer than having to hold a monopod or lightstand by the base!

*Voice Activated Lightstand.

Nothing new. Google Pole Pixie.

MeUnderthePole.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back