TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Original

CIMG0320_(Small)_107ed001e443d89b6be231c03900f86a.JPG

i cant seem to get a good "cut", best i came out with was -

sunsetpine5_(Small)_129b976897df0c35c28d557eeab4719a.jpg

any ideas how i could do this stuff better? It was such a beautiful scene, i just don't think i captured it

My immediate thought is that if you felt you wanted the sky more than the lights, but are unhappy now with this crop, then why not try out another crop. Like cropping off all the black at the bottom and from the right to the tree trunk - that would be my first attempt here. Something is missing in your cropped version and I just feel it is a bit more land. So try to include the lights and see how that works.

PS-ideas must come from anyone else but me, since I haven't got Photoshop, nor do I know how to work with it.

I also like the lights, I would crop the bottom to just under the lights...and maybe a bit off of the top to loose the grayish sky and funny looking parts of the tree.

LaFoto said:
So try to include the lights and see how that works.

my only issue is that i used a high saturation level, to get the maximum out of the sky colour, so the lights are very..well saturated! i just thought that was the worst bit of the picture?

something like this?

buildingsunset_(Small)_2f29726fd9b8c2e6a937102341bd59a2.jpg

actaully just looking through my card, i prefer this picture to begin with!

CIMG0319_(Small)_9b32a2d0322be73849e4f3fab06988e0.JPG

Will you let me have a go at my idea?
And I don't mind the "over"-saturation of the lights!

I like it with it cropped just under the lights myself.

LWW

LaFoto said:
Will you let me have a go at my idea?
And I don't mind the "over"-saturation of the lights!

yeh feel free! :)

OK, here we go then. It was ONLY cropping:

Woosey_night_myidea.jpg

^^^^
ah i get you, that does look better than my original, guess i was scared of showing a "bad" part of the picture.

by the way, is there anything "wrong" with the picture as such, as that scene is repeated a far bit and its local to me, so might go down and shoot some more tonight :)

There is no "right" or "wrong" about a scene, for if YOU like what you see, with the view, colours, motifs, and if you frame it in a way that pleases YOU, who would I be to tell you something is "wrong" about it? It is so subjective what we like and how we like it - that gives the world the diversity that we see and enjoy. So no, there is nothing "wrong" with the photo - and if you want to do studies on this very scene, it can only help you, I think. Go back at all times of the day or night, in all seasons and find out what this view feels like at those different times. Could be very interesting in the end!

true! Thanks very much for the ideas.

Woosey said:
by the way, is there anything "wrong" with the picture as such, as that scene is repeated a far bit and its local to me, so might go down and shoot some more tonight :)

I have my favorite local scenes; I really should travel more. I like to return to them and reshoot again and again. Some areas I've been photographing for years (along with plenty of other photographers). I keep trying to do it better and/or different than the time before. I try to see the area differently than the last photographer.

I like the crop in LaFoto's post.

Most reactions

Back