How did I do this?

jdsfighter

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jdhpro.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was shooting some photos at a local event, when I came across one that just instantly caught my eye. Aside from being cropped, this photo has not been touched.

My question is, while all my other photos came out somewhat undersaturated (very bright outside), this one came out with beautiful colors and contrast. Almost every photo was shot with the same settings in manual, yet, I cannot for the life of me, figure out how I did this:
img0983small.jpg

Regular photo:
examplevm.jpg

I'm not really seeing a lot of difference in the two in terms of what you describe, although the first appears to have slightly warmer white balance possibly.

Perhaps this is a better example.

See how unsaturated the chairs are? And the colors don't seem nearly as vibrant.

testzls.jpg

Maybe because you were under a tent and out of direct sunlight? Hard to say with no other pics to compare it to.

I have nearly 500 pictures from the event, yet this seems to be the only one with nearly perfect exposure/saturation without any post processing.

you posted that pic right as I posted, lol.

You using spot metering? this raw or jpg? have settings in camera set to vivid or normal or anything like that? sooo many possibilities

where was your focal point on each picture? maybe if spot metering you had focal point on say the sunglasses in one and the white t shirt in another? so it adjusted differently? just kinda stabbing at ideas here...

I'm somewhat new to metering, so honestly, I was somewhat shooting hit and miss. I'm not even sure what I metered too :p

well, that's my uneducated guess. you inadvertently exposed for one thing in one and a different thing in another. Or I could be totally wrong. lol. maybe someone who actually knows will chime in. I'm off to bed. :)

It probably just has to do with where in the scene your matrix-metering was looking when it made the decisions about what to do with your auto white balance setting.

Here are some details from each of the three shots:

ISO 500
f/6.44
1/663.98
Metering Mode = pattern / multi-segment (5)

ISO 800
f/6.3
1/640

ISO 100
f/3.5
1/331.99

Note that the ISO changed for each one, and the last one is completely different in terms of aperture and shutter from the first two.

In the time between shots, I'm guessing the light and color temperature conditions didn't change much, if at all. That means that only one of these settings was actually "correct" for those conditions, and it's the one that you like

If your settings are inconsistent, your results will be as well. If it's really important to you to get consistent results, you'll want to start thinking about gray cards to dial in a proper white balance and, better yet, getting and using an incident light meter to use along with a gray card for really proper and consistent exposure. Dial them in and lock them down until the light or color conditions change, then repeat.

It probably just has to do with where in the scene your matrix-metering was looking when it made the decisions about what to do with your auto white balance setting.

Here are some details from each of the three shots:

ISO 500
f/6.44
1/663.98

ISO 800
f/6.3
1/640

ISO 100
f/3.5
1/331.99

Note that the ISO changed for each one, and the last one is completely different in terms of aperture and shutter from the first two.

In the time between shots, I'm guessing the light and color temperature conditions didn't change much, if at all. That means that only one of these settings was actually "correct" for those conditions, and it's the one that you like

If your settings are inconsistent, your results will be as well. If it's really important to you to get consistent results, you'll want to start thinking about gray cards or, better yet, getting and using an incident light meter.

Where can I read up on properly metering a scene? To date, I simply set my settings for a decent outcome in manual, and adjust accordingly.

Sorry, I edited while you were typing. Review my post. You'll want to start reading up on gray cards, white balance and incident meters.

Couldn't take my eyes off the green tree.. It stands out so well.

Perhaps this is a better example.

See how unsaturated the chairs are? And the colors don't seem nearly as vibrant.

testzls.jpg

This shot was at iso100 F3.5 1/320 the others were iso800 f6.3 1/640 i know if you shoot film at a higher iso you can get more contrast never notice with digital

Most reactions

New Topics

Back