Need Help/Advice

ynes26

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I am new to photography. I have done a couple photoshoots for free just to get my work noticed, and gave the clients a cd with the pictures. A lot of people have been telling me stuff about giving clients copyright approval. What exactly is this? I know what copyright is, but what is should this contract have? Also, if I am not doing prints, just cd's, how should I put the pictures on the disc for them? high resolution. With the clients that I did for free, I did web images with a watermark, then a seperate folder without the watermark so they can do their own prints? Should I have not done that?
I know I need to be specific on the contract, such as no editing of their own with other software, but I am clueless as to what else.
I am also aware that I should give them a list of photo labs where they can order prints, so they dont go print at WalMart or other places like that. What are good photo labs to order prints from?
Please, any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated.

What you give your clients is a usage license, something like "The client is hereby granted the right in perpetuity to print these images but may not alter the files in any way nor use them for commercial purposes. The photographer retains copyright over all images.

As the photographer you should always retain the copyright over your work; what you give the client is the right to use it. This is the same as a software license. Since you don't list your location, you'll need to verify with the appropriate officials in your region, but the sentence above is a general guide which will serve as a starting point for the US and Canada. With respect to the images; however you want. I provide my clients with a disc which contains full resolution images pre-cropped for print in the standard sizes (8x10, 5x7, 4x6, and web).

I am from the US, but we are a military family stationed in Germany right now.

"I provide my clients with a disc which contains full resolution images pre-cropped for print in the standard sizes (8x10, 5x7, 4x6, and web)."
how exactly do you do this? pre-crop for the standard sizes?

And I like that usage license. Thats exactly what I was looking for.

I crop the print so that it is sized for printing at the specified size... even the most basic editing applications have a crop tool; usually looks like two 'L's one upside and down and the other rightside up.

If you are in Germany, German copyright law would apply as long as you are in Germany, not US copyright law.

But you can find out more about US copyright law here - www.copyright.gov

Copyright is a bundle of rights. A photographer can license usage of portions of that bundle of rights in very specific ways.

A photographer can limit the usage in just about any way they want.

*Psst guys I think you two got crossed moderating at the same time and locked all 3 threads - unlocking this one since one running thread is allowed*

lol, Usage.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back