How difficult is the Nikon D7000 or D7100 to learn?

Ajezo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I currently have a Nikon D3000 that I've had since it first came out. I'm looking to up grade but am not sure how difficult the Nikon D7000 or D7100 is to learn. I am not a beginner but definitely not professional level by any means. I have done some senior photos for friends and family.
Does anyone have experience with either of these cameras? How hard are they to learn?

Many of the controls are in the same place on the D7000/D7100 as on the D3000. The biggest difference is the addition of a front control wheel that you work with your forefinger. It lets you control the Aperture with your forefinger and your shutter speed with your thumb (Manual Mode). In A mode the forefinger controls the Aperture and the thumb wheel controls ISO. I don't think it will be hard for you to learn at all.

There easy if you're comfortable with technology. If all else fails you can just get a book. That's what I did for my D90 (but I had no prior DSLR EXP before I bought the D90).

Sent from my iPhone using Telekenisisisisis

I had the D3000 as well and I upgraded to the 7100 last year. I love it and I'm sure you will too. As stated above, there is an extra control wheel which makes it easier. Also, you can adjust more items without having to dive into the menus. The 3000 was a decent camera, but I haven't regretted getting the 7100 at all. Go for it!

Thank you everyone for your help.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
had mine a year in a half. Just figured out how to turn it on.

My first DSLR was a D5100. About two years later, I picked up a D7000.

It was easy to learn how to use it. And it was really HARD to learn how to use it. :lol:

As others have said, since you've used the D3000, you should be able to pick up quickly enough on the basics of using the D7000/7100.

BUT, the D7000/7100 is a much more advanced camera, and learning how to use it to its FULLEST will be the real trick. That part just takes time, practice and study, starting with reading the manual.

Get it. You'll be glad you did.

Its not difficult. When I got my D7000, I read the manual probably 3 times end to end which really helped me to understand where the controls are and what they do and also how to find certain settings in the menu. You can find guides in YouTube too that can help you learn the camera. I recommend doing this to every camera you buy even if you think you know it all. Trust me.

Yep.
I highly recommend getting very familiar with the user manual and it's layout. Nikon's DSLR user manuals all follow the same layout.
Have your camera (with charged battery) close at hand as you read through the manual.
Push the buttons so you can see on your camera what the illustrations in the manual show.

As mentioned the D7100 will have significantly more features, capabilities, and functions than the D3000.
Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB).
Raw file bit-depth and compression options.
A more complex (better) auto focus module.
More external controls that facilitate on-the-fly settings changes.

It's not brain surgery, not hard at all use the manual and go take photos till you get it, won't take long at all.

There's more buttons than on the entry level cameras but I'm sure you'll be fine. Just use your camera a lot and have the manual handy when you want to change settings but you're not sure how to and you'll get it quickly.

Here is the "Fro's" D7000 tutorial, I found it very helpful when I bought my D7000

There has to be someone else better than Jared Polin. lol.

Most reactions

Back