How do flash meters work?

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I ordered a "Shepard Polaris digital flash and ambient light meter" from adorama to assist me in my new moonlight flash setup. I've tried watching a few YouTube tutorials on how to use one, and I think I understand the metering part. What I'm confused on is how it actually tells the flash to fire. Is it an optical trigger? Will I have to plug in my PC sync cord? Does it vary from model to model and I can't know until it shows up? Also, most tutorials say to set you're lights then meter and then set you're f stop according to the meter. Another photographer I was talking too said to choose your settings first and then play with the lights until your meter matches the camera. Does anyone use this method? Are the both equal? Or it it a decision made based on the situation? Any other tips to get me started? My equipment arrives Tuesday evening and I've only got 4 days to practice before giving it a shot with a friend. (Who is driving 2.5 hours to get her shots taken!) so I'd like to have as much knowledge under my belt when it arrives as possible so I can spend more time shooting and less time scratching my head when I get it all in!

It DOES vary from meter to meter. If the meter offers "corded" operation, you DO plug in the PC cord, to the meter, and press the button,and the meter sends the signal to fire.

On older non-corded, lower-tech meters, the flash must be triggered by a person pressing the test button, or by a flash held in your hand and fired using a slave trigger, or by you firing a camera that can trigger the flashes.

The newest, best meters have a built-in Pocket Wizard sending unit which can trip the flash(es) when the meter's reading button is pressed.

If this Shepherd/Polaris Polaris Digital FlashMeter with Flat Diffuser is your meter, then it DOES offer corded operation, as well as cordless, which is great.

Thanks Derral! As usual you've been extremely helpful! I appreciate you taking the time to answer my million questions of the day.

Sure thing. I got up early today after a weird dream...me and Morgan Freeman were trapped in a movie scene, in Abe Lincoln's old Presidential man-cave/presidential retreat room, which had 12 fireplaces ringing the room, a top-floor luxury man-cave decorated in the mid-1800's...WEIRD dream! The great blizzard of the NE raged outside (I blame PixelRabbit's posts!). Hardly anybody's up in this time zone yet.

Sure thing. I got up early today after a weird dream...me and Morgan Freeman were trapped in a movie scene, in Abe Lincoln's old Presidential man-cave/presidential retreat room, which had 12 fireplaces ringing the room, a top-floor luxury man-cave decorated in the mid-1800's...WEIRD dream! The great blizzard of the NE raged outside (I blame PixelRabbit's posts!). Hardly anybody's up in this time zone yet.

Oh my! That is quite the dream. Perhaps you should go back to bed and see where it ends! It could mean something ya know!

There are versions to read the light reflected for the subject and versions that read the light hitting it. The manual is a good idea too!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back