How do I achieve this look?

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright, so I made a 500px account a few weeks ago, and have found a few photographers who have a style that I REALLY like. I can't figure out what they are doing to achieve it though. It's obvious that it starts with GREAT lighting, and ends with great post processing. But what they are doing on either end, has got me stumped.

I know there are alot of guys here with way more experience at this than me. Here is a link to one of the photos I really like. How can I start getting results this good? What does it take to jump to the next level, if you will?

Photo Link

...She has a ton of work on her 500px profile that I love. Some of it looks too fake for my liking, but most of it I really like.

Here's another one I really like <-- it's clear she's using a ring light in this one. Is that part of the secret recipe?

Destin Looks like a beauty dish from the reflection on his glasses.

Like you mentioned it starts off with great lighting. The editing part is almost like those old cartoon pinups we see in magazines that was rendered from
an actual picture combined with some HDR techniques.... However toned down a bit. That's how I would do it... however I admit I haven't attempted this type of PP.

Destin Looks like a beauty dish from the reflection on his glasses.

Like you mentioned it starts off with great lighting. The editing part is almost like those old cartoon pinups we see in magazines that was rendered from
an actual picture combined with some HDR techniques.... However toned down a bit. That's how I would do it... however I admit I haven't attempted this type of PP.

You're right, it does look like a beauty dish rather than a speedlight, and a BTS photo I just saw on her blog confirmed it. I would LOVE to attempt this type of PP (her portraits are all shot in a studio on white seamless, the backgrounds are composite add ins), but I don't even know where to begin with the post processing. Maybe there is a LR preset that could get it close?

Destin, saw this plugin from topaz labs. They have a bunch of other products and looks like a combination of them might help you towards the look you're trying to go for. They have a free trial and the purchase is $49.99. This one is the topaz adjust:

Topaz Adjust - The Easiest Way to Make Your Photos Pop

If you boost the clarity up in post process it can help some.

Yeah I was going to say that initially, but it seems to be more then just that. I see a great dynamic range on the edits and just the right amount of sharpness too.

Not my particular style but if I have the time I will attempt an edit

Google "Dave Hill Effect",and you will find probably 500 to 800 tutorials on how to make images that look exactly like that woman's.

Hi Destin. Yes, the reflection is a dead giveaway on the main light. I think "the look" that you like in this photo is from the two opposing side lights. They appear to be at the side and slightly behind the subject. The highlights at the outer edges of the subject are the clue. Both photos appear to be lit the same way. I like that look too.

If you boost the clarity up in post process it can help some.
g.php

Derrel beat me to it, but that is usual ;)

I don't think it matters what lighting you use, check out Derrels search I just saved a youtube tutorial basically was high pass, gausian blur, unsharp with some playing around with levels. I saw 3 others that did it different ways though but I like the outcome of this one the best. It is a pretty cool effect but I would think only particular people would like it, especially athletes.

I don't think it matters what lighting you use, check out Derrels search I just saved a youtube tutorial basically was high pass, gausian blur, unsharp with some playing around with levels. I saw 3 others that did it different ways though but I like the outcome of this one the best. It is a pretty cool effect but I would think only particular people would like it, especially athletes.

ShooterMc, I checked out Derrels link also. It is a pretty cool effect. I mentioned the lighting because the OP specifically asked if the ring light was part of the recipe. I just wanted to point out to him that the side lights, to me, are what contributes greatly to the look of the two photos. Like you said, I dont think this effect would appeal to everyone, but to those situations that call for it I think that the lighting adds to it. This is one that I am going to investigate further.

Yup, looks like typical 'Dave Hill Effect', as Derrel mentioned.

Someone mentioned Topaz Adjust, which is a plug-in. It's got a few presets that can help to get the 'gritty processing as seen in the first photo...but lighting is still more important than the processing IMO.
Anyway, I bought Topaz Adjust just this week. I watched a webinar about the new release (version 5) and was impressed. Plus, you can get it for 30% off until Nov. 30th.

Someone mentioned Topaz Adjust, which is a plug-in. It's got a few presets that can help to get the 'gritty processing as seen in the first photo...but lighting is still more important than the processing IMO.
Anyway, I bought Topaz Adjust just this week. I watched a webinar about the new release (version 5) and was impressed. Plus, you can get it for 30% off until Nov. 30th.

Cool! Let me know how that works..I probably won't use it for people but I think it would make a great plugin for the detail shots. Lately I've been reverting back to my old edits. Simple softlight blend, high pass filter, unsharp mask. However seems like clients are liking these type of finishing though more now a days. *shrug*

Post some samples if you can BM!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back