How do I achieve this look?

I don't think it matters what lighting you use, check out Derrels search I just saved a youtube tutorial basically was high pass, gausian blur, unsharp with some playing around with levels. I saw 3 others that did it different ways though but I like the outcome of this one the best. It is a pretty cool effect but I would think only particular people would like it, especially athletes.

ShooterMc, I checked out Derrels link also. It is a pretty cool effect. I mentioned the lighting because the OP specifically asked if the ring light was part of the recipe. I just wanted to point out to him that the side lights, to me, are what contributes greatly to the look of the two photos. Like you said, I dont think this effect would appeal to everyone, but to those situations that call for it I think that the lighting adds to it. This is one that I am going to investigate further.

The side lighting from two relatively "hot" lights is a pretty key component of professional-level work that was lighted originally with the intent of being post processed in the Dave Hill style. Try using two lights, one on each side, with 7 to 11 inch reflectors fitted with 20 to 30 degree honeycomb grids and barn doors...that hot side lighting on the edges of the face really makes the mask of the face look cool when the Dave Hill effect is done on the captures.

I don't think it matters what lighting you use, check out Derrels search I just saved a youtube tutorial basically was high pass, gausian blur, unsharp with some playing around with levels. I saw 3 others that did it different ways though but I like the outcome of this one the best. It is a pretty cool effect but I would think only particular people would like it, especially athletes.

ShooterMc, I checked out Derrels link also. It is a pretty cool effect. I mentioned the lighting because the OP specifically asked if the ring light was part of the recipe. I just wanted to point out to him that the side lights, to me, are what contributes greatly to the look of the two photos. Like you said, I dont think this effect would appeal to everyone, but to those situations that call for it I think that the lighting adds to it. This is one that I am going to investigate further.

The side lighting from two relatively "hot" lights is a pretty key component of professional-level work that was lighted originally with the intent of being post processed in the Dave Hill style. Try using two lights, one on each side, with 7 to 11 inch reflectors fitted with 20 to 30 degree honeycomb grids and barn doors...that hot side lighting on the edges of the face really makes the mask of the face look cool when the Dave Hill effect is done on the captures.

I'll try it darrel. I've only got speedlights to work with for now, but I've got some 12 inch reflectors for them, and I can get some spot-grids for them on ebay.

I haven't done more than play with it so far. Check out their site at Topaz Labs. It should be on there, but I think the coupon code is ADJUSTME

I haven't done more than play with it so far. Check out their site at Topaz Labs. It should be on there, but I think the coupon code is ADJUSTME

I'll check out the free trial, but I can't afford to buy it... Just lost my job so cash flow has become a bit restricted.

The look your referring to is generically referred to as Tone Mapping.

You can create the look in PS, or you can get quick results from two programs.
Topaz Adjust (as Cameron mentioned)
Or Lucis Art, the original software used to create looks like this.

Lucis Art is priced in the stratosphere nowadays. I think it's in the $500 range, but they have a free, fully functioning 30 day trial at 30 Day Demo of LucisArt 3 Image Enhancement Software for Artists - Plug-in for Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Photoshop Elements

Topaz is much more cost effective, at $49. They also have a fully functioning trial at Topaz Labs - Downloads

We use these programs in our art pieces and for cool looks in senior portraits.

Destin I had to try Topaz Labs myself and downloaded the trial version. Here's what I got for one of the few dozen presets they have. Preset is called Simplify.

Before:

6401019357_7de40f3c97_b.jpg

W/ Topaz Labs Adjust preset called simplify(One of the less grittier ones from the selection)

6401131861_52fdf88440_b.jpg

yeah just some flash and tone mapping. kiddy stuff really.

Well I've been playing around for a few days on and off, just trying different techniques to replicate the look. Haven't checked a single tutorial, but I got this:

disciple-2-of-35-X2.jpg

I know it's not really a portrait, and it's shot with strictly ambient, but am I somewhat close?

disciple-2-of-35-X22.jpg

I think you were going the opposite way with it, I lost it in one layer and the tutorial I watched kept merging layers which maybe it needed maybe not but this is what I got...

Most reactions

Back