How do I choose a camera?

Rocky Mountain

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking to get a nice camera, an upgrade from my $150 cheapo camera. Since I've never bought a high quality camera, what do I look for? What makes a Canon EOS Rebel XTi better then an Olympus E-330? What makes a SLR different then a regular? ect, ect, ect.

I will mainly photograph landscapes, (the rocky mountains). What type of lens would be best for this?

Any links you can give me about what makes a good camera " good" would be appreciated.
:thumbup:

Hi and welcome. You still have alot of info to fill in before anyone can give you a more direct answer.What I can tell you is do a serch for threads like these cause there is one every day from some one getting a dslr and is absolutly blown away with all the info available and the abbreviations that manufacturers use as well as photographers.I am unfamiliar with the olypus slr but I did look at the xti and it was ok just to small for me.That being said you should go to a local camera shop,circuit city,best buy whatever and pick them all up and point them around the store and snap a few shots.See how they feel in your hands.Read the reviews on pop photo website if you like although I think thier results may be a bit biased since they sell ads to the same cameras they are reviewing. www.dpreview.com is also a good site with alot of in depth info into all kinds of cameras and lenses.(cnet.com is also pretty good)
the best info I can give is to do some research and pick one.All of the dslrs out right now are very good and take great quality pictures,provided you have a good lens attached.I would also advise you to stop by the landscape and nature thread and look at some of the photos there and ask some questions and get some kinda idea from some of the photographers about what they look for in a camera for that type of photography.My first instinct about a lens for you is wide angle,but therin you have a couple varieties of them also.I dont have any mountains around here to shoot so I dont know which one would be best.

Hope I havnt just muddied the waters for you and good luck with your new money pit..uh.. Hobby:mrgreen:

Rocky, just to second FM's responses:

"you should go to a local camera shop,circuit city,best buy whatever and pick them all up and point them around the store and snap a few shots.See how they feel in your hands."

"All of the dslrs out right now are very good and take great quality pictures"

Two of the most important bits of information IMHO...

Most reactions

Back