How do i create light streams

Leave your shutter open for a length of time.

okay man thanks again so much, so what type of shutter speed would create an image such as the second one i posted, also when its on the long shutter speed, i tried it on my sony however my picture jsut came out white, really annoyed me! how come?

thanks again

A tripod is also essential to this sort of shooting since you will be using shutter speeds where handshake will ruin the effect through blur.
As well as that I recommend using either a remote release or the timer to trigger the shutter as opposed to your finger on the shutter button - since using your hand will add shake to the shot - remotes or the timer will remove that problem.

Also when you get the camera read up about "mirror lock up" that is a handy feature for this kind of shot

have fun!

edit - the actual time needed will vary depending on the conditions at the time - best thing is to just experiment with different speeds and review on the LCD till you get the effect you are after

okay man thanks again so much, so what type of shutter speed would create an image such as the second one i posted, also when its on the long shutter speed, i tried it on my sony however my picture jsut came out white, really annoyed me! how come?

thanks again
Nieither image has an EXIF chunk attached but;

This one: http://newyork-photosblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/09-11-03s.jpg looks like 20 or 30 seconds. It could be 10 to 15 seconds if the cars were hauling azz.

This one http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1312/1044047291_291c1a03b5.jpg?v=0 looks like about 8 to 10 seconds.

Those are guesses and could be completely wrong but they are both for SURE longer than 5 seconds.

Something else is going on in that second one too. Notice how all the people are not blurred and ghosted. Maybe multiple exposures were used?

2239985581_e362de32ce_o.jpg

Smaller aperture can help also, start at f8 ISO 100. Do 5 second, 10 sec., 20 sec. etc. :)

Smaller aperture can help also, start at f8 ISO 100. Do 5 second, 10 sec., 20 sec. etc. :)
Exactly! It is digital so if it doesnt work try diffrent settings. After all you can delete and shoot it again.

A tripod is also essential to this sort of shooting

Sometimes you want to swing the camera around allot. I guess it depends on what kind of light trails you're going for...

Most reactions

Back