How do I fix these photos?

Teresa Schriber

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello Everyone,
I have been an avid scrapbooker for years which led to my interest in photography. I don't really understand how to decide what settings to use for what situations. I just start shooting and adjust from there, though I would love to learn. My problem is I am strictly a hands on type of learner. In the simplest of terms, could you tell me how I could make these pictures better. A friend has asked me to do her daughters senior pics. She doesn't expect perfection but I would love to giver her my very best. Thanks, Teresa

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

just IMO
the first one is too out of focus, and the backlighting doesnt really compliment the picture
i like the 3rd one, though, good composition and lighting, but sharp focusing on the face is crucial for these pictures, especially the eyes
aim for more shots like the 3rd one

there was someone a while ago who posted "senior portraits"

they shot the subject doing something they liked, a skateboarder, i think there was one shopping...

i would suggest trying that, come up with something to make her shot stand out

try cropping, removing stray hairs, teeth whitening, and unsharpen mask

I did this quickly in about 2 minutes (or less). The crop and a little sharpening makes a big difference. I started to remove fly away hairs but dont really have time.
IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg
with this one I cropped in tight. I usually don't like it this tight but I think it suits the pose and the purpose. I used skin softening, teeth whitening and a glamor filter (I am using paint shop pro). It isn't perfect, it needs a little more tweekings but I thought it looked ok. I think that first one is a wash. Its too out of focus, the pose is strait on and makes her look wide...not a good look for her. I know you learn by doing, but there is alot you really need to learn by reading. understanding exposure is a great start. and on line info about portraits may be helpful.

hehe just one more fix. I tried the skin smoothing on the first one I did and then brought down the saturation and thought it was better
IMG_0074-1.jpg

nice touch up work, except I don't like the crop on the tight shot...she looks like she's boxed in and very cramped for space, especially with how she's bending her neck!

Emerana, I really like your edits, but I think the teeth look a little too white (at least on this computer screen). If they were toned down just a tad, it would be perfect.

I like the boxed in look on this one...but thats me

Yes on the teeth...the photographer needs to do it by hand, I just did it as a quick fix because it really needed to be touched up, they looked grimy

Emerana, usually when I fix teeth the first thing I do is use the sponge tool to desaturate them. Then, only if needed, I'll use the dodge tool or whatever. I try to make them look natural.

yeah :) I just really wanted to do something quickly...just to show effect. I dont use the auto tooth whitener often...I was just trying to show an example. It really needs to be done by hand.

The key thing, however, going forward, is to get the focus right when taking the pictures. If you get the focus right, you can fix most everything else in post... although obviously getting the proper exposure and not blowing out your whites is pretty darned important as well.

Then of course there is posing, composition, etc... that stuff just takes time and experience.

I think the last picture is a bit over done (sorry). Agree with others the teeth are too white, and the skin became too smooth like fully make up in comparison with the original. But the cropping I think is good, it fit. Good job so far.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back