How do I know if I can trust a store?

Sweet Pea

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've been looking at bridge cameras and have come to the conclusion that new ones cost more than I want to spend and I'll have to get a used one. I'm nervous about spending money on a delicate thing like a camera without trusting the store - there are no stores selling them within 100 miles of my home. How can I judge the reliability of a store?

You could try KEH. They have a good reputation and warrant their products.

I don't have experience with them, though, so it is still your risk.

Personally, I'd never buy a second hand piece of photographic equipment. It's a precision instrument, I need to know that it's as perfect as it can be. One thing I've noticed is that the photography world has a fair percentage of artsy people that don't really have much of a grasp about mechanical stuff, they drop a camera or a lens and think because it's unmarked that it's fine. They don't understand that despite the thing looking immaculate, the sudden jolt is what can move the elements or damage the delicate internals. If even after a drop it's absolutely fine today, it could mean that a board or something burns out way quicker than it should as a result, or an element doesn't move after the drop but it's supports are now far weaker than they should be. Just my opinion, I'd sooner be guaranteed rather than hopeful...

I understand there are people that almost exclusively buy second hand with many years of success. But if I were you, I'd be raising that budget a little or nudging the missus a bit harder in order to pick up a brand new camera. 🙂

Last edited:
Do they have a no questions return policy? Time limit on it of course. Any reputable site has a free return period, for instance MPB.com has a 14 day starting when you receive it.

You could try KEH. They have a good reputation and warrant their products.

I am a repeat customer of KEH. Their camera equipment is graded and has a warranty. I find their grading to be conservative, and have been very satisfied.

I have also purchased used equipment from B&H and Adorama. I would purchased used only from a long-established and highly reputable company. It won't be cheap.

Last edited:
Buying new is no guarantee that it won't have issues, and getting warranty service is a time consuming PITA. Buying used adds the element of "grading" to the mix. Reputable resalers not only stand behind the products they sell, but the grade they apply to the equipment. Over the years I've bought quite a bit of preowned stuff, never had a problem with it.

In addition to KEH, B&H, Adorama, Roberts Camera, MPB and Samy's Camera all sell preowned, open box and display models. Because of their grading system and guarantee they will be higher priced. EBay is cheaper, if there's a record of return policy with the seller it can sometimes be a place to look. FB Marketplace is somewhere you roll the dice, maybe your lucky, maybe you aren't, the price reflects the gamble.

Many thanks for the interesting replies! I know now that I won't trust Ebay or FB marketplace. I'll check out the stores mentioned, having more knowledge thanks to your replies.

I use eBay only for simple, inexpensive things, and even then I buy only from sellers whom I trust. I would never buy a camera or a lens there. I don't trust FB Marketplace unless the seller is local and I can go there and examine the merchandise. Even then I would probably not buy a camera or a lens there unless I could first subject it to some thorough tests.

@Dale H. Cook it depends. I've bought some things from Ebay. Some were deals some weren't. Recently bought a vintage Yashica TLR off FB from just a picture. Currently restoring it, but even if it doesn't work it was well worth the price for fun it's brought me.

You can never totally trust used gear. Most of it is fine in my experience, but a small number of items have hidden flaws. It might take days or months for you to discover the issue. An expensive lens I had once had AF that froze intermittently when shooting up. Canon couldn't reproduce the issue, but the fault continued. I finally returned it to the dealer and exchanged it for another copy (which worked fine). What happens to faulty items like that? They end up back on the shelf at the dealer, or as a refurb item at Canon.

Yes, Canon refurb gear is used gear.

Several times in different forum threads I have seen people asking about odd faults with equipment that they bought used.

I used to buy a fair bit of used gear, some very expensive, and have generally had good luck with it. But there are no guarantees. These days used gear seems to be overpriced, so now I only buy new.

I have bought or traded gear at London camera exchange
they also have a grade system and they give a waranty on there kit
i Traded my CANON EFS lenses in against canon EF l series when I bought my 5d mk4
they may be a uk firm only..

it depends. I've bought some things from Ebay.

I don't care to fix cameras. I would rather spending the time fixing broadcast equipment which sometimes costs tens of thousands of dollars (I charge $100.00 per hour), and spend the earnings on new items or on used lenses from KEH.

These days used gear seems to be overpriced, so now I only buy new.

It all depends on what you are buying. I have purchased used lenses from KEH which have a current optical equivalent, but which are now more cheaply made. I recently passed on a new lens with a plastic body to buy the original version from the same manufacturer from KEH with an aluminum body. It cost about 60% of the flimsier new lens, and I graded it a full point better than the rather conservative KEH grade of excellent plus. I saved about $200 and am extremely pleased with the purchase.

I only have experience with MPB.com and it has always been a good experience. I wouldn't be in the hobby if it were not for pre-owned or refurbished lenses.

Most reactions

Back