How Do I Take Interesting Photos Of Boring Subject Matter?

Hey everyone!

I'm not someone who likes to travel much. Really, I don't even leave my house much. Really, I'm pretty much a shut-in, and when I do leave the house I am too nervous about drawing attention to myself to bring my camera.

So I am stuck in my room and backyard. I've covered both areas pretty thoroughly, trying to find every way I can to photograph them... but my photos are becoming very stagnant and repetitive. Using different lenses has helped a bit, but in reality I am repeating myself all the time now.

So, my question is: How do I take interesting photos of boring subjects?

Thanks for reading. :D

1. Change your angle of view
2. Change your perspective
3. Change your lighting
4. Change your attitude

Small steps, one after another will get you where ever you want to go.

The trick is in taking that first step.

If you find taking the second step is hard remember that you have had success in taking a first step so just take another first step- rinse and repeat and you're there.

Just open your mouth and say "Runnah," can you please do something more interesting? Simple.

I don't understand the question and won't respond to it.

As someone who struggled with agoraphobia for years, I've actually found that going out WITH my camera makes things 1000 times easier. I had been a shut-in (mostly.. I do work and go to the store etc. but that was all) for years. Then I bought my Rebel. After a few days I realized I was going to have to venture out to get more interesting shots, as I didn't have the proper lighting and whatnot to take good shots indoors. It has been amazing. Once I realized that people just think I'm some nutty photographer rolling around on the ground or climbing fences trying to get a shot, I was liberated. I've been more places in the last 2 months then I had in the two years previous to that.

Take a deep breath, walk outside and just start shooting. I know how hard it can be looking at that door. If you need any support, feel free to PM me.

Hey everyone!

I'm not someone who likes to travel much. Really, I don't even leave my house much. Really, I'm pretty much a shut-in, and when I do leave the house I am too nervous about drawing attention to myself to bring my camera.

So I am stuck in my room and backyard. I've covered both areas pretty thoroughly, trying to find every way I can to photograph them... but my photos are becoming very stagnant and repetitive. Using different lenses has helped a bit, but in reality I am repeating myself all the time now.

I use to be just like you, a shut-in. I never left except to my sisters 2-4 times a month and back home. My ex husband would do everything, all the shopping, all the everything, because of my social anxiety and severe depression. One day I got a camera and I started photographing around me. I was scared to go out with it because I thought it would draw attention but I finally decided to go to a park and takes photos, and the camera made me feel invisible! Like nobody was looking at me, they were looking at the camera, they were looking at a photographer! So I was able to be out in a park and not have the anxiety and taking photographs relieved my depression. I don't know the situation, but I just wanted you to know that having the camera actually is like wearing a shield, or having a cloak or disguise on and I found most people tend to avoid photographers in a park!

Ok, now about making a boring subject interesting... I found that if I took an object, say an orange, but did something with it that was unexpected.. something you don't normally see an orange doing.. Say.. laying them in a patter to look like a sun on top of a big white or pale yellow sheet (just an example) and making abstract art with it, can really help to diversify what you shoot. I've gotten some great photos doing very random art pieces with things around my home. Sorry if that is silly advice, it's just the kind of thing I've done.

After 12 beers and few scotch induced chasers, I have all sorts of creative hangovers for my wife to photograph.

Hey everyone!

Well, it depends... Do you have pets?
Otherwise, you can photograph some of your pets, with your room and backyard as background surroundings...

I don't have pets, but I try shooting dull gardengnomes when I really have nothing to do:

bulevardi

Thanks for all the heartfelt replies. :hug::

Most reactions

Back