How Do I Take Interesting Photos Of Boring Subject Matter?

DistantSubject

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone!

I'm not someone who likes to travel much. Really, I don't even leave my house much. Really, I'm pretty much a shut-in, and when I do leave the house I am too nervous about drawing attention to myself to bring my camera.

So I am stuck in my room and backyard. I've covered both areas pretty thoroughly, trying to find every way I can to photograph them... but my photos are becoming very stagnant and repetitive. Using different lenses has helped a bit, but in reality I am repeating myself all the time now.

So, my question is: How do I take interesting photos of boring subjects?

Thanks for reading. :D

When you find a potential subject, set your camera down and don't use it.

Then LOOK at the subject. When you find an interesting angle or lighting situation, DON'T reach for your camera..... KEEP LOOKING. Find another angle, or change the lighting. But don't pick your camera up just yet. Repeat the process until you're sure you've exhausted all the possibilities.

NOW pick up your camera and go back to shooting the angles/lighting you found before.

Far too many people 'recognize' an interesting subject, immediately raise the camera to their eye, click the shutter, and then move on. Being able to recognize the possibilities is only the first step. I've been known to spend 15-20 minutes, even a half hour, just looking at a subject before I get the camera out.

You can keep shooting the same stuff over and over and get different shots out of it, but eventually you'll have to venture out of your safety zone if you want to get something new.

Without knowing the reasons why you don't venture any further than your own backyard it is difficult for most people to come up with any methods of breaking the boredom of shooting the same things over and over again. I know by looking into my own backyard that I could probably spend weeks shooting the same things over and over with different light, from different angles, etc. I too would soon become bored of looking at the same things. As long as you remain locked within your own world, with subjects that don't change, you will continue to see and shoot the same over and over.

One thing you can do inside is experiment with images at a ratio of 1:1 or larger. There are all sorts of things in most houses that look very interesting close-up, especially if they are lit in a certain way. You would need a macro lens and maybe also extension tubes, or some people get an adapter that allows reversing a normal lens, which I believe achieves a very high magnification. Someone I know who has a Canon macro lens that goes from 1:1 to 5:1 said that he could spend a decade in his house and yard with it.

Steiglitz spent years and years taking mostly pictures of clouds. It can be done.

Pick an object, any object, and think about what you want to make of it. Go look at other pictures, pictures of anything. Think about styles and what each picture makes you think and feel. Go back to your object. Imagine styles applied to your object. Imagine light coming from here, from there. Imagine it dimly lit, brightly lit, seen from above, seen from below. Imagine it lit like a supermodel, or like a bridge.

If an inspiration hits you, you'll know it. Now go try to take that picture, the one you just imagined.

If no inspiration hits you, then let it go. Don't think about it. Listen to music, take a nap, do some work, pull some weeds out of the garden. Relax and let the inspiration come.

Whenever it comes, if it comes, approach it gingerly. Stop and close your eyes and let the picture fill itself in. Gently look at it in your mind's eye, and fill in the details, so it's a clear image.

Now, go make that picture.

Thanks! These are some great replies!

I always just wandered around and if something caught my eye I'd try to line a composition up and capture the image. I didn't think that I could imagine the possibilities and then find a way to get it done, or that I could spend so much time looking at something before inspiration struck. Great ideas!

It's all about lighting and positioning

fork and bowl
scan255dev-XL.jpg

3 peices of A4 paper on a white background
IMG_4432-XL.jpg

I don't know. Maybe you should take up painting.

Look up some of the famous photogs that do freaky sill lifes. Witkin cuts human heads in half in Mexico and makes a still life of it. A Japanaese lady uses dead fish. Another lady in NY make everything bleed.

Try self portraits? Cindy Sherman comes to mind. I don't like most of the photogs I have mention, Witkin is interesting, but the rest are not for me. I like street shooting and doc photography mostly.

Lots of photogs shoot boring pix and make a lot of money at it. Egelston, Stephen Shore. Both shoot boring as hell, yet make $ doing it.

I'm sorry you have trouble outside the house. Work on going down the street then round the block. you could also advertise for models to come to you for hire.

If your an old gal, try some nude self portraits. I bought some on ebay of an old gal that did some creative nudes. Not very expensive, but they were interesting. If you like PP work, Take some other photogs work and rework it, freak it out like pop art. (Don't forget to give credit to the original photog.)

Good luck!

Last edited:
Just open your mouth and say "Runnah," can you please do something more interesting? Simple.

Dogs make ideal subjects. They are always willing to please, usually stay still for a camera (except the beagle mix I used to have), and can be funny in 'doggie' ways. Taking a(your) dog for a walk is a good way to be 'forced' out of the house...if for nothing other than some physical exercise. That's one of the reasons I have a dog.

Just some food for thought.

Most reactions

Back