How do you back up your photos?

mrshaleyberg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was just curious what all you photographers out there do to back up your pictures. I never really thought about this until I lost a few pictures the other day. I have a feeling my computer is on the verge of crashing, so I'm going to start buying some external hard drives and use another third party to back everything up. I would be devastated if I lost people's memories that they can never get back!

So what do you do?

External hard drive, plus backed up on several different locations on my home network.

I have two external drives and keep one offsite at my sisters house (in case of fire or flood). Typically I backup each one once a week.

I also upload of lot of edited images for Flickr.

I'm buying an external hard drive pronto! I don't know why I haven't yet. Good idea to store another one at a different place. Is there a hard drive brand that's the best to get? I know they're pretty cheap, but I don't want to buy a cheap one and something happen to it.

The main drive I keep my pictures on is a USB drive, and I back it up to a hard drive in one of my computers, plus I've got another external drive I put a copy on once in a while. I keep that one off site at my parents place.

What about cloud solutions? They run about $50 a year. I want to back up photos and some documents from my + 1 more computer.

Anybody recommend an online backup site?

Everything is backed up on a leased web server, which is also backed up onsite and offsite. $3.95 a month.

I just lost my computer on Sunday.... didn't lose a single picture.

First: There are two physical drives inside my computer. I don't have them "raided" but one backs up the other. If my computer crashed I could fully recover in about 2 hours and that includes the drive time to MicroCenter to buy a replacement drive. I use Nero Backitup to mirror my system drive and I keep two copies of that mirror (one internal and one external).

Second: I have an external USB drive that backs up all critical data.

Third: Archived photos are periodically burned to DVDs which are duped and copies kept in the office.

As sure as the sun will rise tomorrow: All hard drives will eventually fail, all servers will at some point come down, all flash memory will one day fry and all DVD/CD media will separate. At least one of those events will catch everyone someday. Murphy's law: Those least prepared will get caught first.

Joe

Trust me, dont ever rely on one external HDD. We lost about 2000 photos that were not on DVD storage discs, when the external crashed. I now store to a DVD storage disc too.

I have two methods of back up. One is the original film and the other is archival cd.

eSata hard drive for daily backup which is locked in safe. Then weekly backup to home server

Trust me, dont ever rely on one external HDD. We lost about 2000 photos that were not on DVD storage discs, when the external crashed. I now store to a DVD storage disc too.

Roger that. I have a WD Passport 500GB HDD and a 500GB Apple Time Capsule which is scheduled on an hourly automatic backup.

the best $$ I've ever spent IMO

one copy on my pc, one on a secondary hard drive, dvd copys.

i usually keep the raw on the cards untill the finish product made it to the dvds (3 copy total)

Main hard drive of computer (after any photo session) > exteranl hard drive (weekly) > DVD's (monthly or whenever I get enough that will fill the DVD).

Most reactions

Back