How do you carry your flash?

theslr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Do you keep the flash on the camera and place in your bag?

A common scenario would be if you left home in the morning and returned after dark. You would be taking pictures outdoors, indoors and at night.

I am thinking if I carry the camera on a strap on my shoulder, then the flash can remain mounted in the camera. This would enable a fairly quick access for the use of flash.

But what if you use a small bag, or a slingshot 200, how do you carry it?

Example gear: Nikon D3100 and SB-400 flash.

I have a dedicated bag just for flashes and flash accessories for when I know going to be using ofc flash. My main bag is a flip side 200. It has a mesh pocket on the outside. I usually keep one flash in there when I shooting just in case I need some fill flash.

So I am hearing that so far everyone is carrying their flashes off the camera and not mounted.

When storing the camera in the camera bag at home, is it okay to leave the flash mounted?

My concern is that I do not want to removing and mounting the flash on the camera anymore than I have to.

I carry mine in a red velvet lined padded case with gold inlay......because thats how I roll....lol

JK...after I take it out of the dishwasher i toss it in my bag.

I dont carry on camera, tooooo many chances of it getting knocked off and I dont want to spend 350 to replace that precious SB-700

So I am hearing that so far everyone is carrying their flashes off the camera and not mounted.

When storing the camera in the camera bag at home, is it okay to leave the flash mounted?

My concern is that I do not want to removing and mounting the flash on the camera anymore than I have to.
If I'm out walking around taking pictures (with flash), I'll leave it on the camera. If I'm going to need it for every shot, there's no point taking it off.
Basically, if the camera is not in my hands or around my neck - I take the flash off.

Now, storing it in the bag with a flash on it just sounds like a bad idea to me. Not to mention all the room it would take up in the bag.

When I am shooting.. It is mounted... like at an event I am covering, or if I am out bug hunting.... Otherwise it is my pack or coat pocket (if I am not needing flash)...

It totally depends on what I'm shooting. Generally it's on my camera if I anticipate needing it. But if im bringing it anticipating that I'll need it later than it just goes in a pocket on my bag.

I keep two flashes, 3 lenses, a D90, filters, charger, remote, a book, tether cable, gels... etc in a Slingshot 200AW

If I even have it with me, it's in a pocket of my camera bag. (domke f3x)

I keep one speedlight in each camera bag, as well as a separate portable lighting bag; mount them when you need them. NEVER store them mounted!

Not really. It's to easy to damage the camera hot shoe or the foot on the flash unit.

If you don't plan on using the flash unit again for longer than a week or so you should also remove the batteries so they don't start corroding the contacts in the flash unit battery compartment.

I was in the habit of cleaning and storing all my gear at the end of each shooting day. I left the batteries in the camera if they didn't need recharging because they are a different kind of battery than the kind usually used in a flash unit.

The hotshoe foot on the flash is its weakest point physically, it would be easier to break it if it was on the camera and the bag took a tumble. I can recall seeing metal replacement feet for Vivitar 283 flashes, as they were prone to get broken. My flash is always in its own compartment in the camera bag when not being used.

Most reactions

Back