How do you deal with the fear of having your gear stolen?

BTW, this is how I carry...

31067_389985133599_529433599_4016089_3924264_n.jpg

I see something interesting under that table.:drool:

Using a knife is really hard.

You have to apply way more pressure than you think you would, and if you mess up you'll end up with a really pissed junkie who is already pumped with rage and adrenalin due to withdrawal.

Btw, my history professor told me a story. When he was a student, he worked at a gas station at night. A guy jumped on him and pointed a gun at his head just to rob a pack of beer.
Yeah, those junkies are stupid enough to kill someone for a beer.

I don't know why we even bother carrying anything. All you need is your cellphone. Just dial 911 (or your regions equivalent) and the cops will show up and protect you.

Using a knife is really hard.

Most people that get stabbed by a knife were stabbed with their own knife.

Might be a bit untrue, but I think its a quote that comes from proper study which shows that knives are really not a suitable weapon for the untrained. Plus you gotta have skill and some strength behind it as in order to use it you gotta get right up close to whoever it is.

Yeah, those junkies are stupid enough to kill someone for a beer.
Honestly, I feel it's more likely i'd get mugged walking alone in the dark with a six pack of beer than I would with a camera. The camera you have to fence to buy the beer.

I don't know why we even bother carrying anything. All you need is your cellphone. Just dial 911 (or your regions equivalent) and the cops will show up and protect you.

When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.

If you're conscience enough to call them and intelligible enough for them to hear your location.

Yeah minutes, right. I would be amazed if I called the police while out and about and they got to me in mere minutes. Tens of minutes maybe.

In hollywood movies, the cops never show up until all actions are preformed and damerages are done.

I went to Colombia with my gear and all went well. I try my best not to get robbed. :)

Yeah minutes, right. I would be amazed if I called the police while out and about and they got to me in mere minutes. Tens of minutes maybe.
Especially in the neighborhoods where you need them.

One night we had a drunk trying to enter our apartment. I don't think he was as dangerous as he was confused, but it was 30 minutes before the cops arrived - and found him passed out in the neighbors car.

11 pages and no one has brought up knives? A knife can be just a good as a pistol and you don't have to worry about killing anyone innocent.

Unless you have extensive knowledge of human anatomy using a knife to defend yourself is moronic. Using a knife is not a matter of hack'n'slash, there are vital arteries and veins that can be severed and kill somebody in a matter of minutes if they don't receive extremely immediate medical attention. If your only intent is to kill the other person, sure a knife is fine, but for self defense purposes you're looking at very extensive training.

I like firearms, I personally find them to be great recreational tools, but for self defense I feel they should only ever be a last resort, when you have absolutely no other choice. It's disgusting to see people utilize firearms as solutions instead of tools, if somebody tries to rob your 2$ in pocket, kill them on sight. Absolutely psychotic.

Last edited:
I've skipped the full thread,
I live in the UK, where guns are illegal (a good, maybe bad thing?)

How I deal with the fear of carrying it?
Much like yourself, it took me quite some time to build up my gear, however, I go to night clubs with abotu 3 - 4k worth of kit.
It's all inside a bag (not a well known brand, VanGuard) so people don't know what is inside it for 1.

The other way is to also not look like you are carrying something valuable, I leave my camera strapped around my shoulder (it would be SO easy to steal if people wanted to, but I'd probably make chase.)

The other thing too is, just take it out! The more you do it, the less you fear it (Apply this to ALL your fears!)

I think (to re-itterate) the way to deal with it is by simply, "not caring" too much.

I've got no problem with weapons or self defence, however killing somebody over a low-tech camera is so borderline psychotic I'm not sure I'd feel safe around you at all.

So now we have a specific camera type and I'm psychotic. I didn't even remember I was advocating killing people for a camera. Dang, old age is making me forget things. :D

Most reactions

Back