How do you define a successful photographer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imagemaker46

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
imagecommunications.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This topic may have been done, bit right now it's a spin off of another thread. This can be about yourself, about someone you know, or someone you want to be. Doesn't matter if you're an amateur or a professional working in the business.

I don't think it would be much different than how you define success in any other field...

Do you mean 'success' as in skill, making money, or are you just asking what everyone else thinks success is?

To me, success is when you have the skills/experience to stand on your own (that applies to any field). What you do with those skills and experience is up to you. Some people may not think you're successful unless you're making a lot of money. I disagree. To me, it all depends on what your goals are, and those will be different for every person.

I will be a successful photographer when I have a show, in a gallery, in France.
Then I will quit, at the top of my game.

I don't think it would be much different than how you define success in any other field...

Do you mean 'success' as in skill, making money, or are you just asking what everyone else thinks success is?

To me, success is when you have the skills/experience to stand on your own (that applies to any field). What you do with those skills and experience is up to you. Some people may not think you're successful unless you're making a lot of money. I disagree. To me, it all depends on what your goals are, and those will be different for every person.

Lets pretend that this is just a photo forum and not drag in every other profession the world has to offer, which seems to happen in almost every thread. Having said this, I agree with you 100% on your last couple of lines regarding money and success.

If I were a successful photographer (artist) I would most likely be making money (photographs selling for far more than they are worth in relative terms) and more than just friends and family would know my name (Ansel Adams) most serious photographers know his name even if they never knew him or even his work. I think this would be an indication that I was a success as a photographer.

^^^ Pretty high bar you've raised for yourself. I hope you don't let yourself down...

I will consider myself a successful photographer when I can consistently produce the images I see in my head. Whether they be for a paycheck, a beer or my own enjoyment doesn't matter to me.

I'll never consider myself a success. There is always room to improve, more goals to be reached, better images to be created. Wealth definitely doesn't define success for myself, nor fame, so it is all a personal thing in my (own) books :)

The original question is “How do you define a successful photographer? “ although I guess I put a bit of personalization in it with “If I were” but to question wasn’t about me and the answer isn’t about me just in general. I consider myself a success in everything I do even if others don’t. If others make good comments of my work then I am even happier and if they don’t who needs their opinion anyway.

I'll never consider myself a success. There is always room to improve, more goals to be reached, better images to be created. Wealth definitely doesn't define success for myself, nor fame, so it is all a personal thing in my (own) books :)

That's probably one of the best ways I ever heard define it, and coming from another Canadian.

When I'm banging a hot supermodel. That's being a successful photographer.

Ok realistically I AM a successful photographer. I am an amateur and this is my hobby. I enjoy it immensely and that is my success. When I stop being successful I stop being happy so I need to find another hobby. But I don't think that will happen anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back