How do you do to shoot a first wedding?

MiFleur

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok I have been doing photography for a while, know many of the functions of my camera, I have shot unofficially a few events.
I don't find myself so good in low light situations. Did not do a lot of these.
I have a good enough equipment, need to buy a second flash ( I have the SB600) and may be a fast prime lens ( I would like to find a 35 mm F1.4 but not ready to spend the money yet)
I already have the tamron 24-70, F2.8, the nikon 70-200 VRII F2.8, and a 60 mm F2.8 macro lens.
I do not feel confident enough yet and I am aware of the responsibility of being the sole photographer, having back-ups etc.
I have no experience in weddings yet.

I have a friend who is master of ceremony and she will attend several weddings this summer.
My first thought was to ask permission to shoot these weddings free of charge until I do have some experience and gather some shots for a portfolio.
and may be charge per picture if they want anything. What is the best way to acquire that experience?

The best bet would be to find a wedding photographer and offer to be their 2nd shooter, even for free. Go with them, learn what it takes...see how "unfun" it can be. lol. Have them show you the ropes. Then when your confident you have the skill and equipment, do one on your own.

My 2 cents.

Weddings are a one-off deal. If you screw it up, which you very well might on your first one, nothing personal, that is just the facts of it, you can't do a re-shoot. My best advice for you is to find an established professional wedding photographer and offer your services, free of charge, to be their assistant. Explain to them why you are doing it. You should accompany them on at least 10 weddings before you strike out on your own.

The best bet would be to find a wedding photographer and offer to be their 2nd shooter, even for free. Go with them, learn what it takes...see how "unfun" it can be. lol. Have them show you the ropes. Then when your confident you have the skill and equipment, do one on your own.

My 2 cents.

Thanks for the suggestion, I have to look around here to see if I find any.

My first thought was to ask permission to shoot these weddings free of charge until I do have some experience and gather some shots for a portfolio.
and may be charge per picture if they want anything. What is the best way to acquire that experience?

The problem here is that the Bride may think you will provide adequate work, and not hire another photographer... which could be a problem.

The other issue is, that if the Bride hires another photographer... you may not be welcome to shoot.

As mentioned by others, get some experience as a 2nd or 3rd shooter under an experienced wedding photographer before trying it on you own. Others may tell you that doing your first on your own is no big deal, as long as the subject understand your inexperience... but having seen work from those weddings, I would disagree!

I have a friend who is master of ceremony and she will attend several weddings this summer.
My first thought was to ask permission to shoot these weddings

Problem with this is that its NOT your friends wedding so they cannot give you permission to shoot the wedding that they go to.

Like others have said you need to assist someone who has been doing this for some time.

My 2 cents.

This, EXCEPT they are very fun. I enjoy them greatly. You get back what you put in.

My 2 cents.

This, EXCEPT they are very fun. I enjoy them greatly. You get back what you put in.

:) Yeah I put my own opinion on there. lol. the photogs I have shot with and learned from as their 2nd shooter LOVE what they do. You may love it. I did not. lol.

I do like doing 2nd shooter though. I like the freedom to roam and do what I want.

Thanks everyone, I guess I am on my way to ask photographers if they are looking for a second shooter.
and will start from there.

The first will be easy, It is a friend who does not want to hire anyone, I will have my first practice there, but shooting with someone who has experience, will certainly be very helpful to learn

OMG, you're asking for for wedding shooting advice before going ahead and getting your first booking? Isn't that all backwards? :lol:

Definately go second shoot as said aleady.

Also, when you're starting to feel ready to go solo, maybe think about shooting some other events as official photographer - ok, a kids birthday / pub quiz / office event is not same same as a wedding, but it'll build your confidence at being the main / only photographer and working with large groups of strangers, but without the danger of the brides mother killing you if all does go wrong.

I know you've shot events unofficially, but taking money for it and being there in an official capacity can make it feel quite different. Even just being there officially to take photos makes it feel quite different even if there's no money involved as you're expected to deliver.

Last edited:
First of all, good on you for admitting your weakness in some areas, lots of people won't, many of them are on this forum, and more show up everyday. As some have said talk to other experienced professional photographers where you live, take along a portfolio of what you have and offer to help out, not even as a second shooter, that would still require you to really work, but see if you can just be there and watch, shooting as a third, as long as you don't feel any pressure to work, there won't be any added stress. You'll learn more by watching at this point and shooting a little, than shooting a lot and missing how things are done.

If you are lucky enough to find an experienced full time professional that can help you out, go for it.

My advice is to shoot your first wedding at someone's second wedding. Less pressure.

^^^ probably true, but that really made me laugh;

Screw up someones first wedding and "gaah, I wanted to treasure that for a lifetime" etc etc.

Screw up someones second wedding and "ah well, I'll make sure I hire a real pro for my third"

OMG, you're asking for for wedding shooting advice before going ahead and getting your first booking? Isn't that all backwards? :lol:

Definately go second shoot as said aleady.

Also, when you're starting to feel ready to go solo, maybe think about shooting some other events as official photographer - ok, a kids birthday / pub quiz / office event is not same same as a wedding, but it'll build your confidence at being the main / only photographer and working with large groups of strangers, but without the danger of the brides mother killing you if all does go wrong.

I know you've shot events unofficially, but taking money for it and being there in an official capacity can make it feel quite different. Even just being there officially to take photos makes it feel quite different even if there's no money involved as you're expected to deliver.

I think she is looking for the right route to take to get more experience. I don't think she is trying to go in blind here like some of our other members. I give her props for seeking out the proper way.

Me too - I wasn't havig a dig, it's fantastic too see someone going about it the right way for a change - it's just so unusual - it's normally "ok, my first wedding is booked, which mode should I use, green square or head?".

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back