How do you edit?

sxesweets

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Where I am...I got my camera (D90) about two weeks ago. I have Lightroom 2 installed on my computer now :) I've been watching tutorials and have learned how to crop and straighten so far. I've found the toolbox for the adjustments. I am wondering if there is a specific order that adjustments should be made in or just kinda start and see where it goes?

In Lightroom, I don't think there is a specific order. Lightroom editing is non-destructive meaning it holds the edits in a database and leaves your original files alone. When you export to a new file, that is when it applies the edits.

From the develop panel, LR2 is easiest in my opinion to work from top to bottom...

Exposure, WB, colors, saturation, etc. I'm also big on playing with presets and getting ideas from that.

it's laid out very logically. After LR, I export to PS to touch up anything else, apply noise reduction and sharpening, etc.

I use aperture by apple in some instances. There it is just a mater of saving a master copy and messing with the other one till you like what you get. Theres also photoshop which is great. You can make new layers for every tweak, so its nondestructive and easy to edit.

I've been "practicing" by just screwing around. Good to know it's not just me doing it this way, Thanks

You can also use some of the presets that are listed on the left pane in the development part. There are presets available to download on various sites also.

I've been "practicing" by just screwing around. Good to know it's not just me doing it this way, Thanks

To me thats simply the best way. No photo is the exact same as another (for the most part) so every one requires different editing. So to me experimentation is the only effective means of editing.

You want to do as much of your editing as you can in the camera.

Adobe designed Photoshop Lightroom with the adjustments is the order a professional photograph editor would do them. That doesn't mean you have to do them all.

Professional editors use both Photoshop Lightroom and Photoshop because many editing functions are beyond the capabilities of Lightroom.

And there are all those fantastic plugins for CS4 too...

I agree that the best way is to start messing around. Compliment that with learning about exactly what all those sliders do, and how they effect the image, and you're well on your way. You'll know you've really got some mojo going when you start with an idea, take the shot with that concept in mind, and then edit to create what you had in your mind's eye.

I'll give one piece of advice. Colours not working in a photo? Smack the greyscale button and see what happens.

That's great, all this advice is making me braver about editing. I also have cs3 but haven't installed it yet as I thought I should start with one part first, maybe it is worth installing though?

When it comes to art, be bold! You won't get too far by being conservative and taking baby steps...well, some may disagree but I've always loved the rush of jumping head-first into things and soaking it all up...

CS3 would be a great idea to install and dabble with. Even if you aren't happy with the results, it's not like you need to keep them. Just get a feel for what the tools do; play with them, read about them, and so on. When you start getting into the meat of Photoshop, it becomes an amazingly powerful editing tool worth every penny.

Personally I use them in the order they are in the list.

Except for Blacks and Fill Light.
I use blacks first until it looks like I want, then Fill light.

If you use the corrections in the Library module believe it limits just how much you can change them.

When you get to the bottom, if you still do not like them, play with individual ones above OR just hit reset at the bottom.

Then you can go back and play with them again. The more you play, the more you learn how they work with each other to change the appearance of the file.

MusicaleCA, just looked at your Flicka and noticed you image Cross Walk....

Now really, have you ever seen a "Cross" walk? :lmao:

Can't say I have. Nor that I know what you're talking about...I have two images titled "Crosswalk". ;)

Most reactions

Back