How do you evaluate a photograph?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by weepete, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I look mostly for photographic skill and good technique as well as composition skill. A photo does not have to be perfectly Sharp or perfectly 100% in focus if artistic or visual components outweigh technical shortcomings. Many times a slight technical shortcoming can be overridden by a picture that has a high degree of impact in other ways.

Some types of photos however demand technical Perfection or nearly so, and it is difficult to describe how one evaluates a photo without 10,000 words to describe the process. Some photos are "vernacular" images, snapshots, if you will, and those are evaluated differently than serious Artistic Endeavors.

• Like Like x 1
  2. zulu42

zulu42 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    The square root of length times width divided by emotion

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. DanOstergren

DanOstergren Move, I'm Gay. Praise Satan. Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The initial impact and artistic vision are most important to me, followed by how the photographer used their light, color, composition, and if the subject is interesting or was captured in a way that makes them interesting. Honestly I would have a much easier time actually critiquing a photo than I seem to be having with explaining how I might critique a hypothetical photo though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    What is the sound of wind?

You have 1,000 words...And....Go!

5. Jeff G

Jeff G -Amateur Shutterbug- Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The sound of wind is a gentle whisper on a warm summer's eve, or the roar of a freight train on a stormy afternoon, the sound of the wind is.....uh heck I don't know.....the whistling between my ears! :biglaugh:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. BananaRepublic

BananaRepublic No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Diesel doesn't ignite like gasoline but it still burns.

7. BananaRepublic

Photos OK to edit
    It is my observation that many of those "qualified people" often dont know or have much understanding of things out side of their own bailiwick.

Those are completely subjective.

8. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Please tell me how that remark adds anything to the conversation, or even remotely connects with the topic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. DanOstergren

DanOstergren Move, I'm Gay. Praise Satan. Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    That doesn't invalidate subjective criticism. What is your point?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. johngpt

johngpt Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Time to unwatch the thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. BananaRepublic

Photos OK to edit
    It doesn't really add to to the topic of conversation but you did say that you have gotten some blow back over comments made or points raised and you were reluctant to make comment/critique in future because as you outlined the may cause offence. My understanding of the idiom to pour gas on the fire is to not want to have things blowup. When I said diesel fuel doesn't ignite in the same manner as gasoline it was primarily an off the cuff remark that does has a factual bases and secondly, although its only now fully coming to mind, that one could reword any future comments in a different manner which would equate to a slow burning diesel fire instead of the apparently outrageous comments, critique and advise that were made previously.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  12. BananaRepublic

Photos OK to edit

No it doesn't but my remarks were made in the context of what I had read previously in the thread. I quoted the above to try and make my comments as concise as possible to avoid going into a half cocked rant.

With regards to yours specifically; it is my experience that majority can see artistic merit only in things that they are aware of or have personally encountered, now perhaps you yourself are an artist and are open to things but the majority are not.

As for a particular subject being interesting or not is entirely personal taste now that doesn't invalidate the criteria but when people have been inculcated over decades to have regard for certain subjects it diminishes things. I recently entered two prints into a regional photographic federations POTY comp, it was my first time going to one of these things just representing myself. The "qualified judges" on the day where professional and regarded nature/wildlife, portrait/baby portraiture and landscape photographers, needless to say people doffed their caps to them as if they were Plantagenet kings.
    What I observed is that they were far from objective, images of animals, babies and beachscapes did well but anything different, ergo that they didn't know or care about didn't, regardless of quality. Even though everyone in the room knew that the animals were baited, the babies doped, and the beaches seen and done before.

FYI I did moderately well in the sense that I qualified for the national POTY comp, so this is not a "because I didnt do well" thing, but the judging was much the same there and in other competitions of high regard.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020