How do you feel about buying a used lens

Knowing about physical characteristics of a lens will help when buying used.

I have not purchased a "new" lens in 15 years.
All of my current equipment is used ... but I know what to examine when shopping used.

Also ... most reputable Camera Stores should have some sort of return policy on Used equipment.

... I forgot to add:

I always find the price of a "new" lens first (from many sources) and compare it to the used lens price. It has to be worth it.

As I stated in your other post. Used is all I've ever bought, so I feel pretty good about it.

Just be the conscious consumer. Do lots of research and make sure you're getting a good deal. I would search ebay before I bought any used lens from a retail store, but that's just my opinion.

Online its always a risk since you can never be sure of the honesty of an ebay seller -- so if your dealing like that then only deal locally where you can go to test the lens out first.
Major retailers tend to be a lot better at testing and providing an accurate account of the lens condition - so B&H should be very reliable for a used lens. Also if your getting the more pro end gear much of it is made very well and thus tends to retain its functionality over a lot period of time - paint scratches don't affect optics ;)

I was thinking about buying one from b&h.

B&H have a great reputation, and the used merchandise that they sell is factory refurbished. Still a risk but I believe is minor. I've never bought any of my gear used, everything is new.

Since we are on the subject, I was thinking of buying a used lens from KEH. A 100mm 2.0 series E. Is there a big difference in functionality between a lens rated "very good" and "Bargain."

Anyone ever bought a "BGN" lens from KEH? Difference is around $50-75.

Online its always a risk since you can never be sure of the honesty of an ebay seller -- so if your dealing like that then only deal locally where you can go to test the lens out first.

I couldn't disagree with you more. There's a reason why ebay is the #1 used seller (for just about everything and anything) in the world. I am a seller and buyer on ebay and Craigslist. Feedback and description will confirm a sellers legitimacy, and most sellers with great feedback have return policies just like stores. I have gotten waaaaaaay better deals online than I ever would at a retail store (used and new). You can always test the lens locally from people on Craigslist or search by zipcode on ebay.

I will never buy retail again.

at B&H, as long as the condition is 8 or more, yeah id buy it. When (and if) you get it, examine it very closely. Clean off the lens then take pictures of solid colour things to see if there any dust IN the lens. (I think using a small aperture helps with this, Id say just try at every aperture)

If you dont like what you have, return it.

All of my stuff is used, and I enjoy everything (other than the fact my 35-105 f/3.5 has a seperate zoom and focus) I own very much. The only new thing I own is film. (which wouldnt be to easy to use after its been used....)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back