How do you feel about workshops?

Swohio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm talking about the higher end workshops that are traveling around out there. They usually focus on a niche within photography and include a presentation, in-depth demonstrations, some hands on interactivity, and a very small class size ranging between eight and thirteen, and are priced between $300 - $500.

Has anyone within this group attended any such seminar? I'm primarily interested in understanding what you hoped to gain from attending, what type of experience you expected to have, whether or not you felt it was worth your cash during and afterward, also curious to know whether you put what was taught to you to practice ?

Need to be specific. Some are great, others you pay money to get in and be sold to worse than an infomercial.

I suggest that before you register for any, talk to several people who have participated in the one you are thinking about attending.

Some of them are very worth it. Don Gianatti, the author of http://www.lighting-essentials.com/ , does one. He travels to different states. It's about $350 and he teaches lighting. I've seen photos from people who have taken his class and they've had a 100% improvement. Plus he's just a cool guy to shoot with.

But as was said above, there's some out there that just aren't worth it.

Definatly follow Jerry's advice regarding checking them out through forums and the like - you want to get your monies worth and not pay to be sold something.
That said if you have a neich interest or a specific area of weakness I think they area great thing for the amature to attend. Try to find workshops with smaller groups as this allows for a much greater 1 to 1 working situation and that can be invaluble with getting to grips with things.
Certainly something I would like to attend when I can find time/money for them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back