What's new

How do you get a picture like this?

eric-holmes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Aug 8, 2009
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
49
Location
Arkansas
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I classify this under the "desktop" category. This came with my computer. It looks so clear, crisp and vibrant. There has to be a multitude of PP put into this photo? Thoughts? It just almost looks fake to me.

It's not my pic so I linked it. I know how people are lol

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i125/eric-holmes/Tulips.jpg
 
The key would be to find the right grouping of flowers, with the right light, and then just making sure you get a good exposure. You could play with the contrast and luminance on the green, blue, and yellows a bit.
Other then that I don't really see too much that could be done in post.
 
Here is a picture I took that was at about 11am one a very sunny clear day. Its not the greatest, But i think the time of day has a lot to do with it because of the lighting.

4542475160_4fe6fd3695.jpg
 
I classify this under the "desktop" category. This came with my computer. It looks so clear, crisp and vibrant. There has to be a multitude of PP put into this photo? Thoughts? It just almost looks fake to me.

It's not my pic so I linked it. I know how people are lol

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i125/eric-holmes/Tulips.jpg
Vibrant I can agree with, but not clear and crisp

The very low angle and filled frame totally eliminates background distractions and frames the in-focus subject against a background color (blue) that is the complementary color to yellow, which promotes your feeling of crisp.

The red swoosh provides just the right amount of tension and I would not at all be surprised to discover it was not natural and gently added with a red Sharpie.

Get the book, The Photographers Eye. Composition and Design For Better Digital Photo's, by Micheal Freeman

He devotes an entire chapter to composing with light and color. A lighting element he discusses that was used to a degree in the image you linked to is called Chiaroscuro, and has been used in art since the the Renaissance, the 14th century or so.

If you think there is much new visual art wise, in photography, study the history of the visual arts some. The vast majority of it has been done before.

Another great book for that and a super valuable investment in your visual arts knowledge is:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Living-Art-Mark-Getlein/dp/0073379204/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271906665&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: Living with Art (9780073379203): Mark Getlein: Books[/ame]

I highly recommend the new edition, older used editions can be picked up on Amazon for about $10 including shipping.
 
Thanks, KmH along with Dominantly. Informative as always.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom