How do you get sparkles in your sources of light?

harmonica

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I don't know how I did it but I like how the source of light (in this case, candlelight), sparkle in the picture.

$Apartment2.jpg

I have been trying to get that same effect with other photos, especially ones with small acute light sources, but the same effect is not happening. Any tips? Thanks!

There's two ways. Small aperture (higher number) or cross-screen filter. The cross screen will allow you to use bigger apertures for low light photos.

Depends on lens construction as well. Certain lenses use more blades to make up the aperture ring and you can see that in the number of arms in the stars.

Do it with a Photoshop plugin, cheap, controllable and no filter.

Do it with a Photoshop plugin, cheap, controllable and no filter.

yeah but it's under the Filters menu. Now what?!

I like the way it looks depending on the photo. Topaz labs star effects plug in is the one I've used.

If no added effect after the photo was taken, most likely that star effect was the result of smaller aperture with a small bright light source.

If no added effect after the photo was taken, most likely that star effect was the result of smaller aperture with a small bright light source.

This is so.

I've never done it myself, but I read about it, its traditionally done this way:

- You need a tripod (which is why I never did it myself, I rarely carry a tripod)
- You need low light and bright point sources of light
- You need a lens that has 9 or 7 blades. Preferably straight blades, but its enough if they are rounded for lower apertures and only turn straight at f/11 upwards.
- 9 blades give 18 point stars. 7 blades give 14 point stars. Unfortunately, more than 9 blades will make the effect vanish because the aperture will be too close to a round circle.
- The effect appears with even numbers of blades as well, but even numbers of blades will only give the same number of points as there are blades.
- You need to stop that lens down to like f/16, which combined with the low light means tripods are required

I guess the filter that has been mentioned is a much more easy option, especially since you can give your stars as many points as you want. You could even go for an odd number of points.

Most reactions

Back