photoflyer

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
mikeatherton.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A friend, learning that I was looking to buy an older DSLR and convert it for Astrophotography, gave me his Canon 50D. This is fun because I now have one of each of the Canon sub-lines: Rebel (T7i), midtier (50D) and a full frame 6D mark II.

This got me to thinking, what are strategies that some of you employ to get the most of your old (camera) bodies once you upgrade? After all, they took great photos when they were new.

I sell 'em.

Well I think in my case I will use the 50D for Astrophotography after the conversion and conventional landscapes. At 15 megapixels with full light it will work well for lanscapesl. Of course the full frame is better (wider angle of view for same focal length) but sometimes it is best to leave the more expensive equipment at home.

...or maybe I just like to see how much performance I can extract from older equipment.

Depending on where/what you are shooting, you may want a more "expendable" camera.
- I'm not keen on shooting next to the ocean with my current camera, with all the salt spray all around.
- Or where there is blowing dirt/sand.
Although your good lens is at risk.

Travel is another option, for the lighter of the 3 cameras.
After non-stop traveling for 2 weeks, an extra half-pound in the camera bag feels like five.

I would also use it as a backup camera, although you already have one.

Donate it to the photo department of a local school, and take a tax deduction for "fair market value."

Most reactions

Back